WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

D2X Picture Control for D300

Old 22-01-09, 21:52

Default D2X Picture Control for D300

Can anybody help
I've downloaded and copied the Optional Picture Controls
for the D300, I just don't get what is meant by "registered with the camera" see below taken from Nikon download site.

*D2XMODE1-3 optional Picture Controls must be registered with the camera before custom Picture Controls, based on D2XMODE1-3, can be created using Capture NX or ViewNX and registered with the camera.

Lello

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 23-01-09, 04:38

Default Registering upgrade software

Not a definitive answer, but it seems as if registration prior to download is a condition.

Quote from a dpreview article.

"...Nikon made three new Picture Controls available on their website for D300 and D3 users. New Picture controls are aiming to emulate the color reproduction of the previous Nikon flagship DLSR D2x. The new controls will give D300 and D3 the ability of simulating the original color modes 1-3 of the Nikon D2x. This exciting feature will be very helpful for the ones that will upgrade from D2x to one of the two new Nikons, a real time saver indeed.

All you have to do to add this Picture Controls to your D300 or D3 is to follow thelinks below and download the files, and then update your camera.

Download Links:

Nikon D300 (Mac OS)
Nikon D300 (Windows)
Nikon D3 (Mac OS)
Nikon D3 (Windows)"

Hope it helps,

Graham
Old 23-01-09, 08:52

Talking

Wondering if there's a picture control for the D2 that'll replicate the colour modes from the D1 series cameras?!........
I really miss those magenta red skin tones, and fluorescent yellows! lol
Old 23-01-09, 18:44

Hi Graham
I think you're right, maybe you have to register the the camera! Or just register with Nikon!.
thanks

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 24-01-09, 19:04

Hi Lello,

'Registration' a puzzler indeed . Attatched is a link to a pdf file about intalling them on D300 and there is no mention of 'registering' them, so maybe register means install in 'Picture Controls' in the camera. Images from the D300 using one of those modes would be tagged with that particular colour mode and so should be recognised as such by NX1.3 or NX2.

PDF Download / Install instructions for D2x colour modes -
http://www.nikonusa.com/software/opt...tr/D300Win.pdf

I have not bothered with this on Stevies D300. She only shoots in RAW and I process in NX2, so it is easy to change the colour mode there in ' Camera Settings '.
Of the pics she has taken so far its about a 70/30 split between using D2x colour mode 3, and D300 standard.

Don
Old 24-01-09, 19:15

Thanks Don
I did the install before posting and all was working, as you know, us men read the instructions after doing anything It was after, I read about registration (by then it was all to late) I just posted out of curiosity.
Thanks again
PS
I have made another light ring, only just finished (will post details later)

Lelsphotos
Old 24-01-09, 19:41

Hi Lello, Nikon encourage people to register their gear with them on line and I think the problem you have is one of translation from Japanese to English. It also means that you must install them before you can use the appropriate controls in NX2. This should not prevent you using the D2X Picture Controls, I have them loaded in my D3 and D300. I like my D2X so much I find that 90% of my work on both cameras is in D2X mode 3. By the way if you do register your gear with the local Nikon site, you find that if you register 3 or more "Pro" items, and the D300 is classed as one plus any f2.8 Nikkors then they allow you to get the benefits of the Professional back-up - priority servicing, a regular Pro Magazine, Identity card as a Nikon Pro etc. Also it is a good place to store all your serial numbers in case of loss or theft - if anyone else tries to register an item thats down to you then the notify you.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 24-01-09 at 19:45.
Old 24-01-09, 19:50

Thanks Andy
That's what I thought after Grahams reply, I have of course registered all my Nikon gear
All I need now is two more "Pro Items", Will that then make me a Pro

Lelsphotos
Old 24-01-09, 21:55

Well, it hasn't made me one Lello but I do appreciate the free Magazine!

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!