WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Dull, dull, dull - how do you cope?

Old 25-04-06, 14:17

Default Dull, dull, dull - how do you cope?

I've had my new Fuji S3 for a few days so am still in the process of getting to grips with the controls, working out which settings to use for what etc.
Saturday was a blue sky and sunshine day - ideal for seeing if you really could get quality direct from camera JPEGs as they say. I was very pleased. Since then it's been gloom all the way and I've been no more successful with this than any other camera at getting a selection of images worth keeping. I don't stick rigidly to any particular settings- make full use of different metering modes - use exposure compensation etc etc. but never quite manage anything worthwhile. I seem to be underexposing so adjust the settings and I end up with horrible 'no detail' white.I do things like adjust levels, contrast etc. once the pictures are on my PC but the actual quality is'nt there. So are there any tips I'm missing - other than having to shoot RAW which is very slooooooow on an S3 - one shot per flying swan [and probably at just the wrong moment!!]
I feel like leaving the camera at home when it's cloudy at the moment. Is it just me or do others have the same problem?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 25-04-06, 15:36

Hi Greypoint

Am not familiar with the S3, but have had a look at the reviews and it seems to be a good bit of kit. As far as speed is concerned most of the owners say you have to have a fast card, Ultra11 or better.

On grey days I always shoot things that cant move very fast, some say they prefer overcast conditions as its like shooting in a light tent.
Old 25-04-06, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by greypoint
I don't stick rigidly to any particular settings- make full use of different metering modes - use exposure compensation etc etc. but never quite manage anything worthwhile. I seem to be underexposing so adjust the settings and I end up with horrible 'no detail' white.I do things like adjust levels, contrast etc. once the pictures are on my PC but the actual quality is'nt there. So are there any tips I'm missing - other than having to shoot RAW which is very slooooooow on an S3 - one shot per flying swan [and probably at just the wrong moment!!]
I feel like leaving the camera at home when it's cloudy at the moment. Is it just me or do others have the same problem?
As most of us will not be familiar with this camera is it possible to post a couple of examples of the same picture taken at different settings. It would help greatly to know shutter speed and aperture for these.
Am I right in thinking bright sun good pics, cloudy overcast poor pics ?

Don
Old 25-04-06, 17:00

I find this dull overcast weather is only any good for some flower shots. No risk of overcooking anything and you can normally give it a decent boost to in PS.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 25-04-06 at 22:02.
Old 25-04-06, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Am I right in thinking bright sun good pics, cloudy overcast poor pics ?

Don
yes, I reckon it comes into its own in bright conditions where you can use the two photo-sites to hold detail in dark and light areas but treat it like any other DSLR in dull conditions

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 25-04-06, 17:56

I'll sort a couple of examples of the sort of thing i mean. I suppose it's just an exposure/noise thing. I've always had this problem - it's not specific to the S3 - if I'd been using my D50 i'm sure the results would have been similar. But I think the S3 will come in to it's own in bright sunshine - certainly there seemed more detail in the stuff I shot on Saturday.

Old 25-04-06, 18:38

One good tip for you all - is that for general usage buy a 45 pound "H" - high speed Olympus XD card (1 gig) - the interface transfer rate within the camera is literally double - so writing JPEGS and RAWs is a lot quicker.

For general usage try the following:

12Mp JPGs in ORG ORG OFF (OFF being sharpening)

Then do post-sharpening - and it looks the business

Mark.
Old 25-04-06, 20:57

I will certainly try that!
If you look in the wildlife gallery you will see my uploads from saturday which I was rather pleased with for a first attempt. If I can work the upload here I'll show some of the rubbish I got this morning!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0755.jpg (122.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0723.jpg (40.2 KB, 18 views)

Old 25-04-06, 21:35

This has been said already, but overcast skies are natures softbox. They're great for plants, fungi and close ups in general, when you want soft even lighting. There are times when I long for grey skies. A bit of both is best.

Since you have a camera with low noise, you can always up the ISO if you need to shoot something that moves on a dull day.

Leif
Old 25-04-06, 22:32

Mm - perhaps it's best not to take the camera - or at least resist the temptation to snap away regardless!