WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Photography Paradox

Old 18-02-06, 16:35

Default Photography Paradox

Three years ago when I moved from a point and shoot digicam to a DSLR I was conscious of the value of kit I carried but soon became cool in this regard and carried a camera and lens every where I went visiting airfields with my professional travels.

I now have a Nikon D2X and its labelled as such is large gold lettering on the neck strap, due to its value and my own safety fears I only take the camera when I am actually on a photography related trip, often among like minded people who offer no thread to equipment or person, namely an airshow.

I recently went on a business trip to Central London with an overnight stay, rather than use the D2X for sightseeing photos I borrowed my fathers D70 for the trip so there would be no risk to my D2X.

So the paradox is, owning a more valuable camera for better images is actually not allowing me to take many images at all!

I think ownership of a valuable piece of kit is hindering my photographic opportunities.

Should I invest in a D70 for everyday use or be more cool about my camera?
Old 18-02-06, 17:00

I would be inclinded to buy a D70 neck strap as it is cheaper than a D70. It would interesting to know if your average mugger is up on the different models of Nikon.

I am a bit like David Bailey when I am out with the camera scruffy as hell. Keep the camera inside my leather jacket for safety. I have never felt threatened. Most people think you work for the newspaper when they see the gear.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 18-02-06, 17:04

I assume you have some sort of insurance for your kit? I don't own anything anywhere near as valuable as your set up, but I think, if I did, I'd want to get the most out of it. So as long as I was insured, I think I'd try not to worry about something that may never happen .
Old 18-02-06, 17:11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
I would be inclinded to buy a D70 neck strap as it is cheaper than a D70. It would interesting to know if your average mugger is up on the different models of Nikon.
I was all set to say that (get an optech strap, black tape over Nikon name, mugger won't know the difference anyway) but I think Stephen was more concerned about a camera so expensive being lost rather than a far cheaper camera.
Must admit, if I do ever shoot in a built up area, it's with my tiny Contax...but that's more about convenience than any worries about getting mugged (and 6ft 4 large build has it's advantages).

cheers,
Andy
Old 18-02-06, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Be more cool
I think you should be cool, Maybe be tone down to fit in with the crowd. You bought the camera to use not have it locked up is a safe wrapped in cotton wool. In ten years time it will be a museum piece anyway.

It is a bit like owning a Rolls Royce and never taking it out of the garage in fear of crashing it. What is it they say ? If you have to ask the price of a Rolls you can't afford it.

The value of the object is not always related to if it will be stolen. In London as with many big cities it is more about being Street Wise. You can get beaten up in a village if your face does not fit in. It is a case of blending in with your environment.

The only time I have had a car broken into was when I was working late at the Liverpool Post and Echo newspaper. The car ended being locked in as I did not realise how late it was. As my hotel was nearby I did not worry and would pickup the next day. When I went to pickup the car I found out that the car park was broken into with an angle grinder. My car along with five others had broken windows and had stuff stolen. In my case they stole an old broken car radio, 50 pence in change from the ash tray and a tax disc with only 3 weeks remaining on it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 18-02-06 at 18:05.
Old 18-02-06, 18:22

Definetely use what you've got. By all means change the neck strap and make sure your properly insured - but buy another and leave your D2X behind; surely not.
Old 18-02-06, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
The only time I have had a car broken into was when I was working late at the Liverpool Post and Echo newspaper. The car ended being locked in as I did not realise how late it was. As my hotel was nearby I did not worry and would pickup the next day. When I went to pickup the car I found out that the car park was broken into with an angle grinder. My car along with five others had broken windows and had stuff stolen. In my case they stole an old broken car radio, 50 pence in change from the ash tray and a tax disc with only 3 weeks remaining on it.
You must of been glad then that they took the radio if it was broken then.
Old 18-02-06, 18:31

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I'm so glad that I live where I do. It would never occur to me to worry about being mugged.
Old 18-02-06, 18:32

my canon 350D is not insured, I've used it in weather conditions that only the more expencive canon cameras should be used in, (rain, etc) due to lack of weather proofing. shows that its getting some use, and that just because a camera isnt said to be weather proof doent mean that it can only be used on bright sunny days without a cloud in the sky.
Old 18-02-06, 19:42

Not much point in owing a top of the range camera that only comes out on Sundays and High days,its only a tool to be used!"Todays"got to have, cost today £2800ish, tomorrows junk,worth 1/2 the original price.So use it and get the best out of it.
Dispose of the "I've got a D2X" strap and go for something less obvious.
These straps are for pros at tournaments, to advertise CAN/NIK.As already stated put some blacktape over the logo, and wear steel toe capped boots!!
Anyway, who are you afraid of? muggers or the police, because to the latter you may be a spy or much worse (I have omitted the "P" and "T" words for obvious reasons!!) Genuine photographers are having a hard time these days, don't give up your rights.
A light hearted bit for Snowny Owl,- You don't have to worry about muggers, well I don't have to worry about a BIG GRIZZLY BEAR breaking down my back door for a sandwich!
regards Subzero.