WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

However did I survive without "Neat Image"

Old 24-04-06, 01:43

Default However did I survive without "Neat Image"

I am still amazed at what this program is capable of and it has encouraged me to start shooting in the higer ISO ranges w/o losing a lot of quality to the shot. Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Old 01-05-06, 17:41

Hi K.C.,

I was interested in your comments so downloaded myself a copy of "neat image" and was quickly impressed with it, mainly with images that had originally been quite dark and showed a lot of noise when lightened.It should be interesting to see how it performs with higher ISO ratings which should be very useful as I do a lot of handheld photography.

My question is, when in the photo image processing is it best to use it-first of all, right at the end or somewhere in between, as I presume it can make quite a difference.

Thans, Charly.
Old 01-05-06, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly streets
My question is, when in the photo image processing is it best to use it-first of all, right at the end or somewhere in between, as I presume it can make quite a difference.
Thans, Charly.
Noise reduction should take place on the original full size image at the end of normal processing i.e after brightness, contrast and colour adjustments. The next stage is resize which will resize any errors with the details of an image. If you slightly over or under use noise reduction algorithms then after resize the difference will be hardly noticeable. Once resized sharpening will put back some sharpness lost to the smoothing effect of all noise reduction algorithms.
Old 01-05-06, 18:13

Hi Charly, just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to WPF.
Old 01-05-06, 22:52

Hi Charly and a warm welcome to you.

There seems to be two schools of thought on whether it should be done first or after some adjustments. I have been told to do it before any corrections were made to the original image and must admit I have tried it both ways and I do see better results with doing first.
Old 02-05-06, 01:59

While I don't use Neat Image, I use Noiseware Professional, I do almost always apply noise reduction before I do any other work on the image. I may sometimes just use a slight amount of brightness control if necessary to lighten the image before I apply noise reduction. The last thing I do is run unsharp mask to add the required amount of sharpening to the finished image before saving it to file with a unique title.

nirofo.
Old 02-05-06, 07:53

Thumbs up

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice, much appreciated, can't wait to put it to good use.

I was wondering, of those that use a noise reduction programme to counteract the negative effects of shooting with a higher ISO rating, how high can you push it before the noise becomes too much and you lose that natural feel to the shot.

Charly.
Old 02-05-06, 09:58

Depends on what camera you have Charly. On my Canon 300D 400 ISO was really the safe limit. Now on my 20D I don't like pushing it above 800 ISO.

Yes I noise clean before. I used to after but the results are better before.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 02-05-06, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly streets
Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice, much appreciated, can't wait to put it to good use.

I was wondering, of those that use a noise reduction programme to counteract the negative effects of shooting with a higher ISO rating, how high can you push it before the noise becomes too much and you lose that natural feel to the shot.

Charly.
Depends on your own eye, if you're happy with it then thats how far you can push it!

nirofo.
Old 03-05-06, 01:28

Hi Charly, this was taken at 1600 ISO. Now can you see why I was so delighted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 041006maleRTHummer1b.jpg (49.3 KB, 34 views)