WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Nikon SB22 flash / D50

Old 22-01-07, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieZ740 View Post
well they seem to work fine as i have just purchased one, but can we use both sb22's at the same time with one d50... if so, what do we require.

cheers for any replies
jamie

There are several ways you can approach this from, but it all depends on whether or not your D50 is fully compatable with the SB22 in full TTL mode, (not sure it is). If it is then the usual way is via an off camera dedicated lead such as the SC17, this enables you to have one flash unit remote from the camera and retains full flash compatability. In order to use a second or subsequent flash you will need an extention lead such as the SC19, this lead plugs into the off camera dedicated lead socket and then into second flash unit, if you want to mount the second flash on a tripod etc, then you will need a Nikon AS10. An alternative method is to have the first flash on the SC17 off camera lead and use a Nikon SU-4 wireless flash controller for the second flash gun. I've used both methods for bird photography and other setups with SB 24's and SB28's, both work well.

I've included below a copy of the method I use for my setups, you may have to adjust it for your own use.

Nikon SB24 Flash Setup

2 x SB24 FlashUnits

Set up 2 SB24 flash units in your preferred modelling arrangement, both set on full power output (not on standby); Main Flash to subject distance must be within the range of full output to f number ratio (Guide Number). Fill in flash set up at a distance to give approximately one and a half to two stops less exposure than main flash.

Set up camera, connect off camera flash lead (SC17) to Main Flash, connect Main Flash to fill in flash using SC19 etc. Switch on camera, switch on main flash (must be done in this sequence) – set standard TTL on flash, (Pulsating symbol on flash display). Set Main Flash to full output; set flash zoom to 85mm. Switch on Slave Flash, select TTL as for main flash, select 85mm zoom setting, select ISO in use (Such as 100asa 21din), select f stop higher than it is intended to use. (Main Flash controls cut-off level of secondary flash). Camera does not control settings on slave flash.

When camera is switched on and an AF electrically coupled lens is in use, Main Flash is controlled by settings on the camera and lens. Metering, compensation, film speed, shutter speed in manual only. (Camera sets shutter speed between 1/60 and 1/250 in all other modes). If you want to set shutter speeds on the camera to enable lighting control, (Such as dark backgrounds), then it is only possible using manual mode on camera body. The lens sets apertures in manual, some program modes and aperture priority only. AF electrically coupled lens sets aperture and focal length on Main Flash.

Flash charge indicator (Lightning bolt symbol in camera viewfinder) winks after flash fired, (The period of winking increases depending on amount of power required, will continue winking if flash strength is insufficient for set up), goes out until flash is recharged, then lights up steadily when ready to fire. Only the Main Flash state of charge is indicated. (Assume slave flash is fully charged when Main Flash is charged).

Bear in mind that this is a set up I use for bird photography at feeding stations etc, your requirements may need a different modelling arrangement.

Use of the Nikon SU-4 wireless flash controller is the same set up as above except there are no cables needed for the secondary flash.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 22-01-07 at 16:53.
Old 22-01-07, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieZ740;[I
16010]well they seem to work fine as i have just purchased one, but can we use both sb22's at the same time with one d50... if so, what do we require.[/i]

cheers for any replies
jamie

It looks like bad news for full compatability in TTL mode with your D50, check out the following web link Nikon SB22 compatability chart.

http://www.nikon-euro.com/kdb/en/2003/6513/sb22.htm

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 22-01-07 at 17:09.
Old 23-01-07, 22:44

Cheers Nirofo, ill look into that information and for them leads.

Jamie