WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Keep sensor clean when changing lenses

Old 13-06-06, 17:02

Default Keep sensor clean when changing lenses

Can you sagest the safest way of changing lenses on digital camera, re dust?
Old 13-06-06, 17:23
Admin

I always have the camera pointing downwards when changing lenses but that's about it for my tips on this I'm afraid
cheers
Andy
Old 13-06-06, 17:33

I used to be very careful when changing lenses outdoors, as Andy suggests, keep the camera body facing down. I chose to change lenses in the car wherever possible away from dusty environments such as dry and windy places.

I am much more cool now willing to change lens almost anywhere but always keeping that body facing down.

No damage will be caused by dust other than inconvenience of sensor cleaning more often. I must admit after 10,000 actuations I have only cleaned the sensor once at 4,000ish but I am about to check and may clean out of routine shortly.
Old 13-06-06, 17:33

I would suggest that the main thing to remember is to turn the camera off first. Secondly, always keep a lens on the camera when its not in use.
Old 13-06-06, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
... always keep a lens on the camera when its not in use.
Also, for best picture quality, always keep a lens on the camera when it is in use.
Old 13-06-06, 18:11

Stephen
Can I ask how you clean the sensor and what with I have jus used sellotape and was very nerves it seemed to work but wouldn’t recommend it the grip of the tape is to strong I think
hugh
Old 13-06-06, 18:12

I cleaned my D200 a few weeks ago, and have recently discovered two obvious dust spots on recent images. Grrrrrr. I take care to turn the camera off before changing lenses, and hold the camera facing downwards if possible.

I also have two very very large spots which fortunately are not visible on normal pictures.

Leif
Old 13-06-06, 20:15

Default Sensor cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughredcanary
I have jus used sellotape and was very nerves it seemed to work but wouldn’t recommend it the grip of the tape is to strong I think
hugh
Sellotape! Noooooo! Don't do it! Take a look at this page:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
Old 13-06-06, 22:03

Quite a while ago,there was another posting re sensor cleaning and this site was mentioned.www.intemos.com I forget who mentioned this site,but many,many thanks.I tried to clean a new 350D sensor with a wet swab used for specs,(the sensor was full of dust specks,only a one week into use).A huge disaster.I had been online and read the info from this company,also in the Canon EOS mag,there was an article on sensor cleaning,explaining how exactly to go about things.Yes,I sent for the swabs from intemos and cleaned the sensor.This week my 20D was full of dust spots(has been very windy here).So ,as I had no clean swabs I used the old ones-big mistake,it does say only use once(I keep the old ones for cleaning the dogs ears!!!).Today I received a new pack of swabs and yet again have made a reasonable job of cleaning a very dirty,badly marked sensor.I did buy the liquid and after two tries,quite good.I do not remove lenses from cameras,but did remove to add the extender whilst out of doors.
6mths ago I would not have dreamt of attempting to clean myself,but this company give explicit details of how to use their products,and yes,it worked.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 13-06-06, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughredcanary
Stephen
Can I ask how you clean the sensor and what with I have jus used sellotape and was very nerves it seemed to work but wouldn’t recommend it the grip of the tape is to strong I think
hugh
Sellotape! I actually winced when I saw that. I just use a puffer to suck the dust of the sensor.

also in answer to your original question I always try and keep out of the wind when changing lenses. Never change a lens on a windy Beach ;-)

Rob.