WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

embarrassing or wot!!!!

Old 10-03-07, 20:20

I think a lot of people may need a check up from the neck up!!!!! hee hee hee
Old 10-03-07, 22:21

If I want to take a photograph of a beach, do I have to ask everyone within close enough range for permission? I don't think so as I am in a public area. If someone comes up to me and says not to take a picture of them, thats fine with me, I will simply tell them " Ok, if you don't want to be a part of this photograph, you are free to move out of view, this way you will get what you want and I will get the photograph". You don't have to be thick skined to do this. If they don't move, and insist that you do not take the picture, then they are violating your right to take the photograph.

Last edited by Jonathan Farmer; 11-03-07 at 13:46.
Old 10-03-07, 22:49

Never had a problem.I am usually far too engrossed in my subject and am totally oblivious to people around me.
When I am on the beach,and I see children playing ,I always ask if I can take their pic,and do say that if the parents want a copy I will be happy to oblige.
When the "locals" see me hanging over the river wall pointing a cam,they discreetly look from a distance to see what has caught my attention,but do not come up to me and start chatting.I have them well trained!!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 11-03-07, 13:15

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I used to worry a bit about being thought a nut when our taking pictures but I've out grown that phase although yesterday I was pulled over on the shoulder of a bridge, with traffic whizzing by, taking picutes of a Snowy Owl and was expecting the police to check me out. i felt a bit embarassed for a minute.
The real embarassing thing is to do something like that in public and then to have someone ask to see the shots but they turned out as crap.
Old 11-03-07, 20:05

http://www.flickr.com/groups/austral...7594411826588/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/central...7594575960373/
Old 11-03-07, 20:31

I sympathise with the original poster. I also feel very uncomfortable carrying round a camera in public which might explain why I usually take pictures in woods and other remote areas. Maybe forcing oneself to do it is the way to get over the psychological barrier.

But I think part of the problem is that we seem to have lost our innocence. Friends with children do not let them walk home from school, whereas when I was about 8 or 9 I walked the 3 miles to and from school. We neurotically worry about 'kiddy fiddlers' and think any stranger is a potential weirdo or peeping tom up to no good. Legally I believe that we can photograph anyone in a public place as long as we do not use the image to defame them. But in practice I would be concerned about getting 'nutted'.

On a related note I find I really do not like it when someone comes up to me and starts talking to me about cameras. Some while back I was taking pictures in a local bluebell wood, and someone came up to me and asked me about my camera. He was perfectly polite, and pleasant enough, but it sort of bothers me. On another occasion, many years ago, someone in a bird hide starting asking me what 'gear' I had, and then proceeded to tell me what I should have bought. On the other hand I have on many occasions got chatting to someone about local wildlife, and I have met some very interesting people. One bloke got the first record in his county of a particularly rare fungus (that might bore you, but to me it is interesting). Another perso was the local organiser of the Butterfly Conservation charity. Anyway, I digress ...
Old 11-03-07, 23:08

This thread has opened my eyes to better understand the psychology of some persons. I have on many occations approached people with cameras and tried to strike up a conversation with them as we both obviously have something in common. I now realise that we may have very little in common apart from enjoying photography. Last year I saw a tourist taking photographs of wind surfers, I approached him with my gear and started talking to him about the best places to get shots of water sports, landscapes and so on. By that evening we were introducing our wives and children to one another and we have been in contact ever since. I thought that the people I approached that would willfully carry on conversation were friendly and the ones that seemed stand offish unfriendly, however these people may be just shy or embarrassed and likewise, they may think I am bold, but realy I am just a friendly person.

Last edited by Jonathan Farmer; 11-03-07 at 23:11.
Old 11-03-07, 23:38

Im always getting funny looks from people as i carry a camera around with me but i dont let it get to me. I think the strangest looks i have had was when it was raining and i had my camera under my coat.

Re talking to other photographers.
I find it relatively easy to strike up a conversation with someone with a camera as we share a relatively similer interest. Oky we proberably dont photograph the same subbjects but we are both photographers. Recantly i have started a course and there are 2 other photographers on the course, one does portraits and the other is an outdoors photographer and we regulay bounce ideas off each other. Weve all passed on ideas and infomation to each other and its alwways nice to see examples of other peoples work. Just recantly i have been advising the portrait photographer on some basic edditing skills and the outdoors photographer some pointers to maybe sell some photos.

Also if im at an event i will often start talking to others there as you never know where it may lead. It may not lead to anything yet but in the future it may come to something. In fact early last year i got talking to someone at Old Warden and he contacted me towards the end of last year about one of my photos and ive just had my first photo printed in a book all thanks just to chatting to one person at an event.
Old 12-03-07, 06:21

On subject of contact to other people rather that taking their picture, I have a very close approach to Jonathan and Ollie. Though my friendship has never grown to that extend, I never hesitate to open the discussion when I see a common ground and most of time I have enjoyed the end result. For most cases, the co photographer will receive a paper with few web sites such as WPF's url address from me and I have come to know interesting things in return.

The only situation that makes me to be hesitating is when someone get interested to know about my gears etc when I am just ready to take that expiry time approaching shoot that may never happen again, so on those rare occasion, I may use one of the old tricks of book such as "no comprende" and if the guy continue in fluent Spanish, then leaves me with no more choice to repeat myself with emphasis on NOOOOooooo.

On a side note there has been few occasions when things happened that may not be forgotten easily. One to share here was to see a guy behind one of those cannon Canon nice white L 600mmIS taking competition surfers picture in Waikiki Hawaii in a spot that is far to the east of Waikiki beach, close to Diamond head, where quite far from shore (Unlike most other parts of this beach) big waves are formed and usually big boys and big girls are only found here with no newbes. This is on end of a nice park with good tree shades etc where for a good reach you might be in need of 600mm plus a 2x extender to say the least. Well not knowing the place well, with my surfer son somewhere far to the other end in the water I though of taking some pictures in this location where I was lucky to find a free parking spot. I could not stop myself not to initiate talk to the young photographer behind the shinny gear that had a very professional look. The guy did not even turn head or let me thing I exist. Well I thought he might be deaf-mute or just out of a not so happy discussion with his wife. So didn't mind at all. But in no time the surrounding draw my attention with several sexy gentlemen, many wearing thong!!!!! others hand in hand and few even in more intimate conditions. Well no doubt this poor photographer has had many probably not so decent proposal according to his taste in past, making him prefer not to talk at all....

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 12-03-07 at 07:15.
Old 12-03-07, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
On subject of contact to other people rather that taking their picture, I have a very close approach to Jonathan and Ollie. Though my friendship has never grown to that extend, I never hesitate to open the discussion when I see a common ground and most of time I have enjoyed the end result. For most cases, the co photographer will receive a paper with few web sites such as WPF's url address from me and I have come to know interesting things in return.
That is one thing i love about the internet, i can come here and talk cameras and photography and meet people with similler interests or maybe not so similler interests and we can have a civil discusssion.
So often in life i mention that im a photographer to my so called 'freinds' and i just get strange looks or the typical comment of 'Oh thats nice'.
I feel i have built up a godd freindship and commaradery with several members of this board and i have met Stephan and thats great. I do hope to meet more in the future. For me the internet breaks down bounderys between people, i am quiet young (20 to be precise) and often in life i would not talk to people much older than me but here age is no matter. We all share a similler interest and the commaradery here for me is great.
We maybe worlds apart in experiance, age, knowledge, subjects etc but we all seem to enjoy the banter that goes on here. Im constantly fascinated by threads like 'Photographing the moon' and 'Flash photography - Daunting or fun'. The never ending stream of amasing photos, techniques and ideas has me hooked. I just wish i had the time to have a go at these things. It always makes me smile when i read the welcome threads and someones posted something along the lines of 'welcome to the most freindly photography forum on the net'. To me ive come across so many forums this is the most freindly by a good way.

Last edited by ollieholmes; 12-03-07 at 18:01.