WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Are you a giver or taker....or both

Old 30-10-10, 22:05

Quote:
Currently 5,810
Amazing. Thanks for the info Duncan, far more than I thought, I was wrong by a factor of 3.
Old 31-10-10, 00:06
Super Moderator

sadly I'm very much a taker on here these days but hopefully will turn this round in time... I've had a very difficult year for numerous reasons and have totally lost my inspiration and motivation. Currently my only real contribution to the forum is kicking off spammers, hopefully I'll refind my mojo and be back to my old self (always keen to voice my opinion).
Old 31-10-10, 00:33

I am sure this forum has a large ammount of knowledge, and being a new member as of today I am alas at the moment a taker, but I feel these forums are here for a reason to give folks who are new to digital SLR photography the information they need.

I feel it is hard for any new member to upload a picture then have it diagnosed as not a good photograph as what they thought, even though they enjoy there photography then surely that is all that matters.

My photography is not that brilliant but I enjoy taking photographs and looking at them, I enjoy printing them off and if I take one that I feel is special then I have it printed by professionals and frame for all at home to see.

So surely it does not matter if you arer a giver or a taker what does matter is you log onto the forum and take in this vast ammount of knowledge that the givers have produced and shared for the members to take in and enjoy.
Old 31-10-10, 10:03

Well I reckon the site is for both givers and takers but obviously it is best if people take part when they feel able. Geoff, if you want special comment put some shots up in the critique forum stating your position as a 'newbie' to photography and ask for gentle constructive comment and that is what you will get. The main thing, as you say, is to enjoy your photography.
Peter, hang on in there mate! Kicking off spammers is a valuable contribution anyway but hopefully your mojo will soon be in full operation again.
Old 31-10-10, 12:26

Going through a rough patch is said to make us stronger. Like most folk recently I've had my fare share of that in the last 12 months. Sometimes you can refine your subject matter to death and when you reach the point where you have failed to improve any further you tend to lose the spirit. A new topic often gets the mojo firing on all cylinders again.

On the subject of new topics whatever happened to all these Photo Essays folk were talking about doing a few months ago ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 31-10-10, 16:21

interesting thread , tend to think that in the main most regular posters here do a superb job, (hasten to add don't think i am amongst them),but from a point of information,tips and advice think anyone would be hard pressed to find better...for an new members who feel intimidated by posting,well everyone here started the same way,whats the worse that could happen ????

Old 31-10-10, 19:38

Hi I was a big taker when I first started . Due mainly to being a wraw beginer , posted mainly to criteque . I did not know to expect in return, I was very pleased to recieve a reply to my images all most welcome.in the main they were very honest and very helpfull. then I read the guidelines to post to that forum, yes i totaly agreed with the basic rules.If you are not clear inyour own mind about what you want,just post to any cattagory you will be supprised at what comments you will recieve.You have a good selection of them.I f your replies do not come up to your expectation. please do not give in try harder you will be supprised at how much you can improve.All the members here are most helpfull and patient. they must get fed up of recieving duplicate quiries . all they will do is make a comment and point you to a link ten times out of ten you will be very supprised at the effort they go to to answer your query. Thank you members who have helped me I look at an image in a different way now many thanks Regards john the joiner.PS.does this put me in the giver camp.
Old 31-10-10, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post

On the subject of new topics whatever happened to all these Photo Essays folk were talking about doing a few months ago ?
It just appears that no-one actually bothered to produce any. As I've mentioned around I'm at a low point in photography, opportunities and time are few and far between in my hectic life in suburban Reading. However I did learn how to print B&W in the darkroom - now I just need some good pictures to print.
Old 31-10-10, 20:12

I probably give more than I take at the moment on the grounds that I can post some comments in my desk bound lunch break or whatever but can't get out to take any pictures.

When i do get to post a few images I really appeciated comments of any sort and assume others do as well so I make a mental rule whenever I log on to try and comment on at least a couple of the new images in the gallery. Can't always think of anything particualrly clever or inspirational to say but simply the fact that this image or that has prompted me to comment at all means I have enjoyed looking at it.

And on that note I'd better see what's in the gallery tonight !!
Old 31-10-10, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
It just appears that no-one actually bothered to produce any. As I've mentioned around I'm at a low point in photography, opportunities and time are few and far between in my hectic life in suburban Reading. However I did learn how to print B&W in the darkroom - now I just need some good pictures to print.
Seems a lot of people are at a bit of a low point at the moment for one reason or another so hope things pick up for you. Having a new skill should certainly help and it is a skill that needs practice to develop properly until it becomes an art. In time you develop a real feel and that is when your love of film will really be able to be fully expressed and give you most satisfaction. Only takes a few years! Have fun!