WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass

Old 25-02-06, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero
Manjeet,
When we took images of fish in tanks,we did the following, which may/may not be of use as a starter for you.
Clean inside and outside of the glass panel that you are going take image through.Get a piece of clear glass that is almost same size as the end panel you are going to shoot through.This piece glass is so that you can "contain" the fish within a "narrow band" and maintain a constant focus on it.You will need one/two flash units of low to medium power ie not one which turns night into day(unless power can be turned down).Try one at front above the fish (right up against the glass) at about 30deg to the glass and if required the other from the side.Do not worry too much at this stage about reflections, lets see if you can at least get an image and then see where the reflections are coming from.Try to avoid areas of the tanks where the airation pipes etc are, and allow the fish to settle otherwise it may churn up loads of sediment from the tank bottom.Don Hoey maybe able to advise you on how to trigger the flash from 20 feet.
What sort of fish is it anyway?
regards subzero
I will try your suggestion and the fish is a Silver Arowana.(had it for 2yrs-love it.)
Old 27-02-06, 13:33

Quote:
Manjeet,
When we took images of fish in tanks,we did the following, which may/may not be of use as a starter for you.
Clean inside and outside of the glass panel that you are going take image through.Get a piece of clear glass that is almost same size as the end panel you are going to shoot through.This piece glass is so that you can "contain" the fish within a "narrow band" and maintain a constant focus on it.You will need one/two flash units of low to medium power ie not one which turns night into day(unless power can be turned down).Try one at front above the fish (right up against the glass) at about 30deg to the glass and if required the other from the side.Do not worry too much at this stage about reflections, lets see if you can at least get an image and then see where the reflections are coming from.Try to avoid areas of the tanks where the airation pipes etc are, and allow the fish to settle otherwise it may churn up loads of sediment from the tank bottom.Don Hoey maybe able to advise you on how to trigger the flash from 20 feet.
What sort of fish is it anyway?
regards subzero
Subzero and Dan -i have taken 2 pics of the fish-2 i have reduced it to 800x600(no croping or photo base).The distance is 18 feet without zoom(if i go back more the pic is lost) 1st. pics taken at 22feet and zoomed about a foot(pic enlarged and brought forward by zoom a foot)-croped to 1635x1201 and passed through photobase done every thing but no tint(shsrping etc.)then resized to 800x600.(uploading now.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 165b1.jpg (59.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 165b.jpg (46.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Dr.Manjeet Singh; 27-02-06 at 13:48.
Old 27-02-06, 14:59

Manjeet,
Very well done, a good effort considering the technical problems.Of the two images, the 2nd image of the fish appears sharper and in both cases the background appears to be a bit sharper than the fish.This could be for several reasons.
a) The fish is moving/or has move during exposure.
b) You were not accurately focused on the fish.
c) You maybe at the near focus limit of your equipement, ie it might might appear in focus when it really is just a bit out.

Did you manage to constrain the fish as suggested or use other means?

Suggest that you suspend a "piece" of something about 4" square with very legible writing /numbers on it and try focusing on that and also take a few pics. The results should eliminate if it was movement of the fish, and should also show up any inaccuracies in your focusing or whether you are at the limit of your equipments auto focus/manual focus etc.
But don't give up you are nearly there.
regards Subzero.
Old 28-02-06, 02:24

Quote:
Manjeet,
Very well done, a good effort considering the technical problems.Of the two images, the 2nd image of the fish appears sharper and in both cases the background appears to be a bit sharper than the fish.This could be for several reasons.
a) The fish is moving/or has move during exposure.
b) You were not accurately focused on the fish.
c) You maybe at the near focus limit of your equipement, ie it might might appear in focus when it really is just a bit out.

Did you manage to constrain the fish as suggested or use other means?

Suggest that you suspend a "piece" of something about 4" square with very legible writing /numbers on it and try focusing on that and also take a few pics. The results should eliminate if it was movement of the fish, and should also show up any inaccuracies in your focusing or whether you are at the limit of your equipments auto focus/manual focus etc.
But don't give up you are nearly there.
regards Subzero.
Thank you will try-can i hang one of my patients instead who is a pain in the behi...please.
Old 28-02-06, 22:02

Good try,Manjeet,not an easy subject.Perhaps the lighting in the fish tank is not helping.Or could you not try with the room dark and the fish tank lit up?.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 01-03-06, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Good try,Manjeet,not an easy subject.Perhaps the lighting in the fish tank is not helping.Or could you not try with the room dark and the fish tank lit up?.
Will try and let you know.Sorry for the trouble.Have P.M. you please check .Regards.
Old 16-03-06, 19:32

The best suggestions I've got (apart from a nice new digital slr!) would be to increase the power of the lighting above the tank but further from the scope /camera than the glass, if you see what I mean, and then turn all the room lights off which should more or less cut out the reflections. The trouble with flash with the set up mentioned is that I don't think it will have any method of synchronising the flash with the shutter. Use a glass "cage" to constrict the movement of the fish. Hope this helps. Mike

Last edited by miketoll; 16-03-06 at 19:38.
Old 17-03-06, 01:03

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll
The best suggestions I've got (apart from a nice new digital slr!) would be to increase the power of the lighting above the tank but further from the scope /camera than the glass, if you see what I mean, and then turn all the room lights off which should more or less cut out the reflections. The trouble with flash with the set up mentioned is that I don't think it will have any method of synchronising the flash with the shutter. Use a glass "cage" to constrict the movement of the fish. Hope this helps. Mike
Mike thank you for the suggestion-will try as for a new camera-it's not the cash but Time-being a healer i hardly get time when i do i have to split it between my family and birding-so have been juggling it well.Lets see how and what i can do.Thanks.Regards.
Old 28-03-06, 16:23
Super Moderator

Any luck with a photo of the fish yet Manjeet.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 15-04-06, 00:45

Where can i find one of these bits of kit in the U.k?