WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Slow Shutter Speed

Old 14-06-06, 15:44

Default Slow Shutter Speed

Hi all,
Im currently using a Fuji S5500. I can adjust the shutter speed down to 15" or up to 2000, But I cant find the medium in between as one lets in too much light or next to none at all. I have tried all the other settings too. Will I have to bite the bullet and buy a ND fliter.Its mainly to try and get some motion into my shots. eg Water flowing. I have CS2 should I just add motion blur with this?
Any advice welcome
Cheers
Lsb
Old 14-06-06, 18:09

LSB,

If you are after blurred flowing water effects, I suggest a shutter speed of 1/15th or slower, depending on how smooth you want the water to appear. You should be able to adjust the aperture (to a high f number, though I note the S5500 can only go down to f8) and/or the ISO setting (to 64) to achieve the desired shutter speed and obtain the correct exposure. Try setting the ISO to its lowest value of 64 and then using shutter priority mode of 1/15th second or less to see if the correct exposure can be obtained.

It may be that in the lighting conditions you have, that f8 (the smallest aperture your camera can set) will still result in overexposure at this shutter/ISO combination. The simple answer would be to go back at a different time of day when there isn't so much light.

I certainly wouldn't go rushing out to buy a ND filter, and I'd say you get a much more pleasing effect from using a slow shutter rather than using photoshop.

I'd also say, it's essential to use a tripod for these slow shutter speeds.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 14-06-06, 18:24

Cheers Duncan,
I will try that. And will let you know who things turned out...
Lsb