WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Marque tool

Old 17-04-06, 19:17
Super Moderator

Default Marque tool

Another question for CS users. The Marque tool for cropping a picture, is there an option so you can see what size the marque tool is making while you are using it. In most other programs it gives dimension as you size the box so at least you can see how big the box is going to end up.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 17-04-06, 19:43
Admin

Yep, you need to have the 'info' palette open via windows-info
Then click on the tiny arrow in the top right corner of the palette to get palette options. Change mouse coordinates to pixels (presuming you want pixels) and that'll tell you what size the final crop will be.

cheers,
Andy
Old 17-04-06, 19:57

I use marque tool in a fixed aspect ratio, click marque tool then on tool/info bar below main tool bar drop fixed aspect and enter 6 x 4 and volia, marque/crop tool opens as 6 x 4. To change pixel dimensions use resize tool off image on main tool bar.
Old 17-04-06, 20:13
Super Moderator

Thanks Andy & Stephen I have found it, I have never looked at the toolbar at the top, I only ever seem to use the dropdown menus so forgot about them.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 17-04-06, 20:25
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Thanks Andy & Stephen I have found it, I have never looked at the toolbar at the top, I only ever seem to use the dropdown menus so forgot about them.
I only found the constantly updated dimension display quite recently, I usually just use pre-made tool presets for 3:2, 2:3, 4:3, 3:4 format crops.
Old 17-04-06, 20:41

Quote:
Another question for CS users. The Marque tool for cropping a picture, ............
Sorry to appear pedantic but as a point of information, the Marquee tool is not for cropping, the Crop tool is for that.
Old 17-04-06, 21:30
Super Moderator

I thought they were one and the same didn't realise there was a different tool. Just shows you how much I know about CS.

Old 17-04-06, 22:50

Quote:
I thought they were one and the same didn't realise there was a different tool. Just shows you how much I know about CS.
I must admit that I've always used the marquee tool as a crop tool - I think I 'found' it before the crop tool and just kept using it as such!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 17-04-06, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker
I must admit that I've always used the marquee tool as a crop tool - I think I 'found' it before the crop tool and just kept using it as such!
The marquee tool means you must go to Image, Crop. The top tool bar is not available so you can input sizes, you cannot double click to crop, and the area to be cropped off is not shaded or adjustable. Use Ctrl C not Ctrl M to select it in the tool box
Old 18-04-06, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The marquee tool means you must go to Image, Crop. The top tool bar is not available so you can input sizes, you cannot double click to crop, and the area to be cropped off is not shaded or adjustable. Use Ctrl C not Ctrl M to select it in the tool box

Image-crop takes about a quarter of a second longer than going straight to the 'tick' in crop tool and sometimes the shaded area of the crop hides a little detail that you may have wanted in the shot, though you can, of course, adjust the opacity of the shaded area.

The one area that is much slower in marquee is when you crop to a certain size for making a print - you can't set a pre-determined size. You set one dimension and then crop off the other until you get the right size - it does, however make you look very closely at what you crop out (ie whether you shave a bit off the top or the bottom) and this sort of makes you consider the overall composition very carefully.

I've found that by setting a certain size in crop tool it's very easy to become lazy and just draw around the main subject and leave it at that - OK, I was telling a bit of an untruth when I said that I always use the marquee tool!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway