WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon AF-S lenses on Fuji

Old 20-05-06, 10:58

Default Nikon AF-S lenses on Fuji

I've just bought a Nikon 24-85mm AF-S ED f3.5-4.5G lens - special offer from Warehouse Express and research showed it looked like the short zoom that would fit the bill. On my D50 it's brilliant [or seems so from the small amount I've been able to try it in the horrible weather!] - zips silently into focus and seems spot on with good detail. On my Fuji S3 it works for about 80% of the time - at other times the AF just does'nt move or I get the green light for correct AF when it's obviously miles out. As you have choice of fully manual AF or Manual/AF it's easy to quickly adjust the focussing but I'd prefer to be able to rely on it. Has anyone else experience of Nikon AF-S lenses on Fuji bodies? Other Nikon fit lenses focus OK - although i'm trying to test properly to see if there's a slight backfocus problem with the camera. A bit of a curate's egg the S3 so far - when it's good it's wonderful -but having already sent one back with a problem the second one just does'nt seem quite as good - perhaps it's me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 20-05-06, 11:22

I owned an S2 and used it with 24-120VR AF-S, it always focussed quickly and accurately.

I suggest checking Fuji for software updates as I remember early code versions of S3 did not operate correctly with Nikon VR. Perhaps the same upgrade will could be better with AF-S.

To test backfocus use a fast lens wide open taking a test shot of a ruler, length-ways using focus point at 15cm (say).
Old 20-05-06, 11:55

Thanks. I've checked the Fuji website and the only upgrade re lenses is for the 18-200 VR. This seems to be the same problem though - the lens itself shows infinity and does'nt move. Try pointing at other subjects and it will sometimes just begin to focus again and sometimes just remain static. Switching off and on sometimes helps - eventually it AFs again. On my D50 it's perfect!
Tried a quick go at the focus test using 50mm at f1.8 - I think it's OK but I'll try again and take more time.

Old 20-05-06, 18:34

Providing software version is above 1.00 there should be no problem, please see below software upgrade history for S3 provided by Fujifilm website

•Details of the update
The firmware (Ver.2.16 to Ver.2.18 ) update incorporates the following issues.

1) Updates for the setting of the sharpness for JPEG images on the PC control mode.

The firmware (Ver.2.12 to Ver.2.16 ) update incorporates the following issues.

1) Updates for compatibility of Nikon flash units.

2) Updates for custom white balance function and exposure control function on the PC control mode.

The firmware (Ver.1.00 to Ver.2.12 ) update incorporates the following issues.

1)Adds PC control function (needed to update Hyper-Utility Software HS-V2 Ver.3.1)

2)Updates AUTO ROTATE function

3)Updates the function for AF-S Nikon and AF-VR Nikon lens.
(Can be functioned even power switch is on when the lens is attached)

4) Updates the compatibility for high capacity of storage media.
Old 21-05-06, 06:50

Mmm - allI need to do now is to find out which firmware I have - it does'nt seem to appear in te menu. As the camera is new I would assume it's the latest. Thanks for help.

Old 21-05-06, 08:30

The version number is displayed after the following simple procedure.

Insert a blank formatted media in the camera. Turn on your FinePix S3 Pro while holding down the [BACK] button. The number will displayed "CURRENT" showing the camera's current firmware version.
Old 22-05-06, 07:17

Thanks again. As suspected, i have the latest firmware so that should'nt be the problem. I'll just have to use it mainly on my D50 and be prepared to manually focus if necessary when it's on the S3 I suppose. It's a super little lens for the money!