WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Which Canon to buy, EOD1000D, 500D or something else?

Old 23-08-10, 19:46

Default Which Canon to buy, EOD1000D, 500D or something else?

Hello Everyone

I'm Joe. I'm busy researching DSLR's and found your site, which seems to be full of good people giving good information.

I'm looking for my first DSLR and have been reading reviews/websites for the last few weeks.
I've been to a few camera shops and tried handling Canon, Nikon, and Sony, I've also had the opportunity (through a family member) to spend some time working with an Olympus E-520.

First impressions whilst handling the cameras was that the Canon was easily the most comfortable- it fit my hands very well, and was light compared to the others.

I'm moving up from a Fuji P&S and a Panasonic Bridge camera, so I'm looking for a camera to take me to the next level.

From what I've read, either the Eos1000d or the Eos500d look the best bet ( its probably going to be a christmas present- but if its the latter camera, I'm willing to wait a few months, save up more money and go for it then).

So, my question is, is the Eos 500D worth the extra money? I dont need the video capability as I already have an HD camcorder. In terms of the quality of photographs they produce, is there any difference?

Are there any other cameras in the Canon range I should be considering, budget-wise, I'm looking loosely around £500.

In terms of what I like shooting, its pretty much anything that catches my eye, I love doing panoramas, night time light trails, portraits, but will pretty much try anything, so a good all rounder would be handy.

Also, is there anything else I should be taking into account when making my decision? Lens cost, filter cost?

My wife has suggested that I should join a camera club first before buying a DSLR to see if they have advice, would this make sense? comments please.

Thanks for your help

Joe
Old 23-08-10, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
First impressions whilst handling the cameras was that the Canon was easily the most comfortable- it fit my hands very well, and was light compared to the others.

So, my question is, is the Eos 500D worth the extra money? I dont need the video capability as I already have an HD camcorder. In terms of the quality of photographs they produce, is there any difference?

Also, is there anything else I should be taking into account when making my decision? Lens cost, filter cost?

My wife has suggested that I should join a camera club first before buying a DSLR to see if they have advice, would this make sense? comments please.

Thanks for your help

Joe
Hello Joe, this may not sound very helpful, but the best person to answer these questions is yourself. Only you can decide if one model is worth paying the extra for over another.

You have handled different camera brands and found that Canon suits you best, that is a very good start. Apart from anything else, it cuts down the number of options you have to decide on.

Regarding lens cost, I suggest you just get whatever kit lens come with the camera you decde to buy, it will get you up and running at minimal cost and allow you to decide what to do a bit later when you've got used to using the camera.

If, as you say, you are just starting out, then I wouldn't worry about relative image qualities between one model and another. Your skill and knowledge will be a much bigger limiting factor to begin with. Understanding light and composition will make a far bigger difference to your pictures than the specific model of camera you buy. If it was that easy, then everyone would have the same camera, there would be only one model available, and anything else would be sitting on shelves gathering dust.

There are so many models available precisely because this isn't the case.

You may find this thred (stickied at the top of the forum you've posted in) to be useful. This question comes up all the time, only you can make the decision.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=4587

Duncan
Old 23-08-10, 21:17

I would suggest buying secondhand - you get a lot more camera for the money. Be careful to get a fairly good example of the model you want. With Canon xxxD is a consumer camera, xxD is prosumer (hate that word) and xD is professional. As you go up the levels they have more features and are better constructed, with metal bodies and often weather sealing. 500 pounds will easily buy you a good xxD body like a 30d with kit lens or a larger zoom. Ffordes photographic is a good supplier that I can recommend but there are countless others.
Old 24-08-10, 12:21

Default Which Canon to buy, EOD1000D, 500D or something else?

Quote:
I would suggest buying secondhand - you get a lot more camera for the money. Be careful to get a fairly good example of the model you want. With Canon xxxD is a consumer camera, xxD is prosumer (hate that word) and xD is professional. As you go up the levels they have more features and are better constructed, with metal bodies and often weather sealing. 500 pounds will easily buy you a good xxD body like a 30d with kit lens or a larger zoom. Ffordes photographic is a good supplier that I can recommend but there are countless others.
Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. I'm going to consider the second hand route, it does make financial sense. As I have a limited budget in terms of DSLR and lenses etc, I'll be looking to maximise my money whilst getting the best camera possible. I'm not someone who gets rid of equipment just because the latest website or store or TV program says its obsolete- my 12 year old Sony TV is still doing what it should and wont be replaced any time soon-unless it breaks, the 12 year old video recorder has been retired, mainly because we transferred everything to DVD!

Quote:
Hello Joe, this may not sound very helpful, but the best person to answer these questions is yourself. Only you can decide if one model is worth paying the extra for over another.

You have handled different camera brands and found that Canon suits you best, that is a very good start. Apart from anything else, it cuts down the number of options you have to decide on.

Regarding lens cost, I suggest you just get whatever kit lens come with the camera you decde to buy, it will get you up and running at minimal cost and allow you to decide what to do a bit later when you've got used to using the camera.

If, as you say, you are just starting out, then I wouldn't worry about relative image qualities between one model and another. Your skill and knowledge will be a much bigger limiting factor to begin with. Understanding light and composition will make a far bigger difference to your pictures than the specific model of camera you buy. If it was that easy, then everyone would have the same camera, there would be only one model available, and anything else would be sitting on shelves gathering dust.

There are so many models available precisely because this isn't the case.

You may find this thred (stickied at the top of the forum you've posted in) to be useful. This question comes up all the time, only you can make the decision.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=4587

Duncan
Hello Duncan, your reply was exactly what I was looking for. I'd been looking on this and other forums and was slowly realising what you said so eloquently on your post.

The way I see it, its all about knowledge, creativity, understanding and patience. Knowledge- the more you learn the more you can do with the camera, creativity- becoming more creative can lead to better photographs, understanding- knowing what you want to accomplish-be it buying a camera, or what you want your results to be-you need a focus, and patience- take your time, take lots of photographs and keep learning.

From what I've read, and what you said, it seems that the camera isnt the limiting factor- all beginner DSLRs can take good photographs, its the sensor/memory unit/knowledge of the person taking the pictures that matters.

So, armed with this information, my new plan of attack is

1. Keep reading tutorials, books and photography magazines, keep watching videos, keep learning the basics.
2. Keep taking photographs- some will work, some won't, learn to understand why this happens.
3. Post my photos for critiquing ( is that how you spell it)
4. Continue going to photography shops, and testing the cameras, how they feel in my hands, how the different systems operate, how I feel operating them.
5. Join a camera club, go with the cameras I have and ask questions.
6. Keep reading, learning and practising.
7. Come Christmas, watch out for good camera deals, having done my research into different cameras, systems, lenses, filters, I should be able to pick up a decent camera at a decent price- the rest is up to my eyes and my brain.

Sound like a decent plan?

I saw the thread you mentioned about 2 minutes after I posted initially, it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks so much for your help

Joe
Old 26-08-10, 14:04

These days anything in the prosumer category by a major brand is pretty damn good - Canon won't sell you a 'bad' camera for 600 quid. The EOS 30D is one I got on eBay for 250 pounds, body only and it does exactly what it says on the box, very clean noise-free images up to 800 ISO and minimal noise at 1600 and 3200 ISO. Construction appears solid (magnesium) and I believe it's weather-sealed.

Remember the camera is a tool, and only a bad workman blames his tools! I have had excellent results with cheap Canon IXUS compacts. Once you get a camera you can start developing creativity.