WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

portrait Lens

Old 23-02-06, 22:00

Default portrait Lens

I'm looking for advice on choice of lens for portrait work, mainly pets, indoors and out doors. I would be using a Canon20d.

Thanks in advance
_________
Steve.
Old 23-02-06, 22:18

Hi Steve,

From your gallery I see you have a Sigma 170-500 so something like a 28-200 would complement that nicely. You don't mention a budget but I have just looked at Warehouse Express and Canon fit is £169.99.

I have no experience of the quality of this lens, perhaps other members do.

Don
Old 24-02-06, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Hi Steve,

From your gallery I see you have a Sigma 170-500 so something like a 28-200 would complement that nicely. You don't mention a budget but I have just looked at Warehouse Express and Canon fit is £169.99.

I have no experience of the quality of this lens, perhaps other members do.

Don
I've used a Tamron 28-200 in the past (on 35mm film body) and found it's a bit compromised on quality. Something with not such a wide zoom range would probably be more suitable for portrait work. The "classic" portrait lens would typically be something in the 90mm focal length (on 35mm film). Assuming you are using a digital body with a sensor that gives about 1.5x crop factor, you would be looking at about a 60mm lens for portrait work. Perhaps look at something in the 50-200 range to compliment your 170-500.

Duncan.
Old 24-02-06, 10:37

I mainly use zooms for other photographic applications however for portraits and pets I use 50mm f1.8. 50mm is about right considering the DLSR crop factor and equates to 75mm in 35mm full frame terms. Canon 20D has a 1.6 crop factor so a 50mm lens will be equivalent to 80mm. A fast lens is ideal for portraits creating an out of focus background using a wide aperture. I am sure Canon do a great 50mm at a very low price. I can only comment on Nikon where pricing is around £100-120 new and £50-75 used.
Old 24-02-06, 14:21

Not recommending a particular lens ... but something in the 35-100mm range (zooms in this range can be ok) and f/4 or better (f/1.8 is nice). A low light capable lens is very nice for portrait work.
Old 26-02-06, 10:42

Thanks for all the advice lads. I think I'll go down the 50mm prime route as suggested by Stephen.
I will then come back and badger you all on flash equipment/ technique, especially when to use it out doors, for "fill in".

_________
Steve
Old 26-02-06, 17:41
Super Moderator

The Canon 50mm f1.8 is supposed to be an excellent portrait lens and at about £80 new it's not a bad price either. I show say that I've not used this lens myself, but have read lots of good things about it and plan to get one in the near future.
Old 26-02-06, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
The Canon 50mm f1.8 is supposed to be an excellent portrait lens
I have one of these lens and it is very good optics for the price. On par with lens costing in the hundreds. The let down is the noisey focus motor but what do you expect for the price. I would consider selling it if your interested Steve PM me.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-02-06 at 19:00.
Old 26-02-06, 22:29

Another lens that people often recommed for this purpose on the 20D is the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro. It's a lot more expensive than the almost give-away EF 50mm f/1.8, but if you have a need for a macro lens too, it is dual-purpose. I can't really comment on its suitability as a portrait lens (humans are not my thing) except to report what others say. Does the macro work and a bit of general purpose landscape work very nicely for me. But it's a lot more expensive.