WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Changing computer platform - a photographers perspective

Old 20-07-07, 11:55

Default Changing computer platform - a photographers perspective

Switching a computer can be daunting enough especially when its how the operator wants it but switching to a completely unknown computer platform with possible incompatibly with hardware and software is a big step, almost a leap!

The journey to completely switch from PC to Mac took six weeks with some trouble along the way. Initially everything was fine, started new Mac a few questions about myself and the system was running. No reboots, no driver installation just software to install, namely Nikon Capture NX and Adobe Photoshop. Nikon Capture was a breeze with the same product key working for the Mac as PC, Photoshop took a while to download the 800MB 30day trail but when it was complete all was good but needed to transfer licence to Mac which is done under a licence transfer scheme by Adobe. I initiated the transfer of Photoshop by e-mailling Adobe which was ignored so I telephone some days later who asked for another e-mail proving original receipt for photoshop and of not photographic evidence of ownership such as boxes and CD's etc.

Photographic evidence was sent as no original receipt but Photoshop was genuine and purchased through Amazon U.K.. some days later a response from Adobe along the lines of no transfer without original receipt, so I checked all e-mails and paper receipts to no avail even telephoned Amazon who were most helpful but could not find my original purchase. I was stuck – new computer ideal for speedy image processing but no photoshop even though being legal. Photoshop was fast running out of its 30 day trial period and I had a brain wave – I purchased Photoshop using my card but my lady's account from Amazon. I called Amazon again who found details of original purchase and agreed to send paper receipt in the post. When arrived I sent to Adobe who processed things – very slowly. I was made to feel like a criminal and even though I had all documentation Adobe asked for it was apparently down to 'acceptance' of the transfer order before I could receive a licence transfer. A week passed (now five weeks into processing) and I put the pressure on and that day someone called me back to take my credit card details for an upgrade to take me from CS2 (windows) to CS3 (Mac) although a full copy of CS3 arrived. The whole saga took six weeks!

The third essential piece of software every photographer needs is Neatimage. I tried my licence number to download for Mac which failed, After e-mailling Neatimage mac support I received advice in minutes – yes minutes, suggesting a licence transfer would cost $10 (£5) and I ordered immediately then minutes later a new mac licence agreement number was available and I simple downloaded and installed. The process took less than one hour.

All previous hardware is compatible with Mac such as CF card readers, printers, cameras but an aged scanner would not work which was hardly used. A Linksys router was not down to be Mac OS X compatible but does work fine both wired and wireless. Sometime hardware is Mac compatible but the manufacturer does not state it. When plugging my also aged printer nothing happened – absolutely nothing – no new hardware found message. I only new it worked when I went to print and there it was in the dialogue box!

All photos and e-mails can be transferred as Mac OS X can read Microsoft's NTFS drive format but cannot write to a NTFS drive, no problem as all drives were IDE now SATA so simply copied from one to another and the IDE drives now used a backup devices in a USB IDE external case.

Its not been easy but we are there now!
Old 20-07-07, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post

Its not been easy but we are there now!

The crucial question, then - from a photographer's perspective - is there any difference to your photos

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 20-07-07, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
The crucial question, then - from a photographer's perspective - is there any difference to your photos
I figured I may encounter that question and ..... yes!

I used Nikon Capture NX is a conservative manner on the PC. Control points that can bring out certain parts of an image were although possible, too much for the PC. Noise reduction was another feature that made the PC pant, I can now use 'Better Quality' rather than 'Faster' in NX.

Pleasure, its now a joy to process again so a positive mental attitude releases more creativity into the photos.

I know all of this could be achieved using a fast PC but I use a Windows PC in my working life and to come home to a Mac is a refreshing change and a distance between work and pleasure.
Old 20-07-07, 16:38

Quote:
I use a Windows PC in my working life and to come home to a Mac is a refreshing change and a distance between work and pleasure.
Hmm, yes, I hadn't thought of that. I can see the benefits.
Old 20-07-07, 17:21

Quote:

Pleasure, its now a joy to process again so a positive mental attitude releases more creativity into the photos.

Yes, this point is worth stressing. Anything that you enjoy using rather than 'having' to use must be worth its weight in gold!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 20-07-07, 20:37
Chris

not surprised at the Adobe hassle. More interested in knowing whether expensive CS version any more 'really' mac than PSE is. The PSE is just an obvious 'quick port' that doesn't make proper use of the OS and clogs up memory and runs down battery on powerbook, very few keyboard shortcuts; also takes about 5 minutes from starting to run till when one has a usable interface free of all the useless monitor clogging windows.
Old 20-07-07, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
not surprised at the Adobe hassle. More interested in knowing whether expensive CS version any more 'really' mac than PSE is. The PSE is just an obvious 'quick port' that doesn't make proper use of the OS and clogs up memory and runs down battery on powerbook, very few keyboard shortcuts; also takes about 5 minutes from starting to run till when one has a usable interface free of all the useless monitor clogging windows.
I understand CS3 is a completely rewritten version of Photoshop, its also a universal binary but that does not suggest it's written really for OS X. It is the largest of all applications I have and therefore takes the longest to load but certainly not 5 mins!. Its just as quick and easy to use as the PC version of CS2 I once used. It certainly does hog memory as default memory usage claims 2/3rds of total memory which I restricted to 512MB which is fine as I dont use CS3 for any complex procedures. It is full of windows but these can be tidily put to the side and opened using arrows keeping the desktop clean and clear for a large version of the photo being worked on.
Old 20-07-07, 22:31

Quote:
I figured I may encounter that question and ..... yes!

I used Nikon Capture NX is a conservative manner on the PC. Control points that can bring out certain parts of an image were although possible, too much for the PC. Noise reduction was another feature that made the PC pant, I can now use 'Better Quality' rather than 'Faster' in NX.

I know all of this could be achieved using a fast PC but I use a Windows PC in my working life and to come home to a Mac is a refreshing change and a distance between work and pleasure.

So you would not say that the Mac is more user friendly?

I ask because I bought a Creative Zen music player and it was awful. I got a refund, bought an iPod, and wow, it is so user friendly. Apple really have paid attention to little things, to make the 'user experience' so much better.
Old 21-07-07, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
So you would not say that the Mac is more user friendly?
The file search structure is identical to an iPod and searches along a line, if you understand.

Everything has been thought out and it's very easy to switch from one application to another or see what's open or not. There is an emphasis on short cut key presses which can perform actions instantly. As a computer user from the DOS days I find key shortcuts much easier than hand eye co-ordination required when operating a mouse.

I dare say that actions can be performed with half the mouse clicks of a Windows PC which I now find fatiguing to use.
Old 21-07-07, 09:05
Chris

Quote:
I understand CS3 is a completely rewritten version of Photoshop, its also a universal binary but that does not suggest it's written really for OS X. It is the largest of all applications I have and therefore takes the longest to load but certainly not 5 mins!. It is full of windows but these can be tidily put to the side and opened using arrows keeping the desktop clean and clear for a large version of the photo being worked on.
I did not mean 5 minutes to load, but including separating layers window from the rest, opening first file, pressing tab which gets rid of everything but the photo, then reopening main tools and layers. Actually i just timed it and its only 1min 35secs, just seems like 5 minutes compared to everything else!

PSE5 version of CS3 does not yet seem available for mac and will probably only be for core-duo chip and/or OS10.4, so I think I just go on with 4 and curse Adobe regularly!

And Leif: Mac has a tradition of user-friendliness, but for last few years their market has moved to the iPod generation and the operating system is progressively becoming unecessarily complex (unless you really need to edit your own films and soundtracks at the same time as listening to something else and monitoring a chat room); at the same time forms of customisation that we took for granted are being phased out. However the graphic design of the interface is still fortunately as good as ever.