WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Sigma EF 500 Super DG

Old 27-04-07, 19:57

Well I have the super and the standard, often using the standard attached to the camera with the super as slave. Both guns get a lot of use especially in my "studio".

These guns have prooved very reliable over the time that I've had them, must be over 3 years.

I do admit to taking the easy way out, and using them mostly in manual.

I also have the manual somewhere, but it's for the Canon version.
Old 30-04-07, 13:12

Sorry to be a pain but hopefully this thread may assist others with similar dilema but I've now noticed a few other "possible's"..the Sunpak PZ40X & the Metz 54AF1.."more confusion"!!!..The Sunpak's less than a £100!
Al.
Old 01-05-07, 09:33

Al,

I will have a check.

Both of these are manufacturers of flashguns. Sunpak traditionally in a similar market slot to Sigma. Metz aiming closer to the top end. So as far as Metz goes I have no problem recommending the brand to anyone from personal experience with 45CL range. Cost will be higher as these are made in Germany.

Don
Old 01-05-07, 09:48

A link to the Metz instruction manuals. Be aware that these units are dedicated to a particular camera system. Canon, Minolta, Nikon etc. So in your case Al, you need to make sure you are looking at 54 AF1 - N

I have downloaded the manual but not properly read it yet.

Link http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...nuals.164.html

Don
Old 01-05-07, 10:11

A link to Sunpak instruction manuals http://www.sunpak.jp/english/support...oad/index.html

Don
Old 01-05-07, 10:20

Thanks Don..
Al.
Old 01-05-07, 10:41

If it was my choice between the two it would be the Metz - more power than the Sunpack. The Sigma also has more power. But then I have just checked out Warehouse Express prices and the Metz and Nikon SB-800 are the same price, so given that it would be the SB-800.

The SB-800 still has two advantages over either of these units.
1) It comes with a Stofen type diffuser and these can also be bought as an accessory, but I have not found them for the Metz or Sunpack units. As I mentioned earlier I regard this as a must have accessory.
2) The option of at a later date aquiring an SB-800 or 600 and using wireless commander mode in i-TTL or manual.

Don
Old 03-05-07, 17:28

Well guys, Rob, Don, Duncan & Wolfie, thanks for all the advice & input into this thread.
It turned out to be a bit of a “minefield” in the end; trying to compare one manufacturer against the other, then comparing models from each of the manufacturers themselves! I suppose the only easy eliminations I had to make was the ones that were over my budget.
The concern I had with the Sigma’s & the Sunpak were regards the information read whereby it advised that after maybe an 8 shot burst you have to let the unit cool down for 10 minutes. Would this have been a hindrance to me, probably not now but maybe in the future, who knows? This wasn’t noted as an issue with any Nikon or Metz units.
Quality was also an issue that I pondered but not apparently so with either Nikon or Metz units.
I suppose what swung my decision in the end was this info: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm
Yes, I know it wasn’t in the original line up but after reading this report on the SB600 it seemed the safest bet to me.
What also played a big influence was the price I could get it for from a highly recommended source of BF & WPF members; Kerso:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FLASH-CAMERA
The £199.00 general UK price was right at the top end of my budget but when I saw it on his on-line shop for £139.00; I thought “it has to be”!
Well I’ve just paid the man, (Ian, nice guy, responds quickly to emails, seems very good to deal with), & he’s posting tomorrow so I should have it maybe Saturday or Monday.
Lots of Canon gear on there as well as Nikon, might be worth you Canon users checking out his prices?
Well once again guys, thanks for all your assistance.
Regards,
Al.

PS: Right choice or wrong choice?
Old 03-05-07, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee View Post
PS: Right choice or wrong choice?
You will be the best judge of that, only time will tell.

One thing I will say is that I wouldn't let the opinion of Ken Rockwell influence you unduly. The internet is a great place for people to become self-appointed experts.
Old 05-05-07, 09:21

Just to add a quick note about "Kerso"..delivery was rapid..
Al.