WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Canon Flash users. HELP please.

Old 03-11-09, 17:46

Question Canon Flash users. HELP please.

I would be greatful if you could help answer my question posed in post 3 of Brians 'Three Flashgun set up advice'

Thanks in advance

Don
Old 03-11-09, 18:59

Thumbs up

Looks like I have found the answer.

An extract from this link : In manual mode (M), Canon compacts such as the Powershot G5 switches off the pre-flash (and thereby E-TTL). This makes it feasible to use plain optical slaves, that otherwise are disturbed by the pre-flash. This has the unfortunate side effect that E-TTL can not be used to control the power of the flash in manual mode (see p. 101 in the Powershot G5 manual for details)

Link
http://dpanswers.com/canon_flash.html#nettl

Yeah ........ spent most of today on this one.

Don
Old 04-11-09, 10:35

Don, I think the pre-flash is a common problem with most digital cameras and flash. I found that even if I switched to fully manual mode on the camera, the built in pop-up flash would still give a pre-flash, which, as you say, precludes the use of cheap optical peanut triggers on remte guns.

With my "Yellow plus Blue" shots, I found my synch lead wasn't long enough and had to use my Metz 58 on the hotshoe, set to fully manual mode (this turns off the pre-flash trigger), triggering a simple "peanut" on a very cheap/old flash in full power manual mode. Power output from the remote gun was fixed at full - the only setting available. Light output to the scene was varied by changing flash to subject distance.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-11-09, 18:10

Duncan,

I have posted a new thread so it can be easily found for the future, on Wein optical slaves that will work with pre-flash.

Re your set up then I do similar when using slaves - camera on manual and flash on manual. Not a prob for me as I am ancient enough to automatically calculate manual power settings. Brought up in the world of flash before i-TTL, ETTL etc

Don