WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

NX Discussion, Hits ,Tips & Tricks

Old 13-02-08, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
I was using ViewNX when I visited Don a few weeks ago so he has seen it in action.
Thats because I am still using Nikon View 6.

Don
Old 13-02-08, 17:22
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Thats because I am still using Nikon View 6.

Don
Bin it Don & use the decent job (you also need Transfer to auto-load into it when you connect the camera)
Old 13-03-08, 17:54
Chris

a few postscripts

1: printing form NX. I am giving this up having found with Epson 1290 it gave up 7/8 way through super A3 prints. On new Canon ix4000 it produces faint lines down the print on a dark background (the sticky bud). So looks as if I do have to save/convert to tif for printing. (comments censored)

2: View NX; this is quite useful as a quick preview/weed after download. However, as far as my vintage powerbook/OS 10.3.9 is concerned it is as much a 'rogue' program as Capture itself, gobbling up vast quantities of cache until it runs out by which time everything has nearly ground to a halt. I got used to living with 1 rogue program years back (Microstation) - and can cope. But not 2 rogues, so rather withdraw my previous gushing over View NX.

3: Capture 1.3.2 seems OK, ie no more roguish than previous ones, and either it or me have got better at avoiding crashes.

Last edited by Chris; 14-03-08 at 11:28.
Old 17-04-08, 19:21
Chris

On returning to a NEF file previously edited in NX, I found it came out looking like the attached; turning off all the ticked steps did turn off their general effect,so pleased i hadn't permanently removed the eartag but did not return to original file.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...1&d=1208456214
View NX displays the file normally right up to 100% and prints it hair perfect. However, the quick adjustments are greyed out and importing it in to utility returns 'no valid file found'. Thus there does not seem to be any way of extracting a jpg of the full sized edited file.

PSE4 won't open it all. GraphicConverter opens a similarly corrupted file.

In this case my original edit is possibly all I want, but its bad news for the integrity of NEF files. I really do not want to have to duplicate the lot on import and then do 2 weeds - is that what is recommended as a failsafe?

Am asking Nikon technical too, but won't be on edge of seat for reply which will no doubt blame the computer. OK I think it did happen once before out of about 2000 nefs.

PS away for about 10 days from early Saturday, so not being unappreciative not responding to any observations after tomorrow.

Last edited by Chris; 17-04-08 at 19:23.
Old 18-04-08, 10:40
Chris

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

View NX; this is quite useful as a quick preview/weed after download. However, as far as my vintage powerbook/OS 10.3.9 is concerned it is as much a 'rogue' program as Capture itself, gobbling up vast quantities of cache until it runs out by which time everything has nearly ground to a halt. I got used to living with 1 rogue program years back (Microstation) - and can cope. But not 2 rogues, so rather withdraw my previous gushing over View NX.
On visit to Nikon support I see that they say 'It is not recommended to install both Nikon Capture and Capture NX on the same computer as this may cause unexpected issues to occur' .......hm

Just after it has earned its keep for once! It seems that an edited NEF file keeps at least 3 separate packages of information - the original info, the info for re-enacting/modifying editing commands and a full size preview of last edit; the latter only accessible to viewNX (on another computer??!!)
Old 19-04-08, 20:41

Chris,
I have Capture, NX, NC4.4 and Nikon View 6 all on the same machine with no probs.
When NX came out they did say that there could be a conflict if with 4.4 if it was not removed, but I have not had any probs.

Yes I know ....... View NX is missing from that list but quite happy with View 6.

Don
Old 26-04-08, 21:49
Chris

Nikon EU are taking this issue more seriously than I thought, but having been away have not supplied latest lot of info requested...story continues.

Having had to do quite a lot of cache clearing and keeping an eye on the last few GB of HD memory left, I see that NX and View NX share the same cache, ie when emptying cache from NX prefs, it also wipes previews from View NX. Really just need a spare 20 or 30 GB on the hard-drive to keep them both happy
Old 24-05-08, 12:58
Chris

Returning to some lurid DPP editing on last year's Langdale shots taken with 350D, I have found that editing non-Nikon pics in NX can be very successful in practice aswell as theory. More details in another thread aimed (so far unsuccessfully) at non-Nikon users:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...8850#post28850
Old 08-06-09, 20:25

Another thread bump as we try to recruit another member - Gabby, Jims dad.

A big man from the world of film, but hopefully we can tempt him into digital.

Pleasure to have met you sir.

Don

PS : I had better link the NX2 thread as well
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=3441

Last edited by Don Hoey; 08-06-09 at 20:29.
Old 24-08-11, 10:45

Bump for me too !!