WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Planning

Old 21-01-06, 07:29

Default Planning

As a Digiscoper most of my photos were taken as a opportunity arose,with no planning involved.

Now i have the equipment to get photos that i have wanted to take for a long time, so hopefully this year that Fox wont elude me and Whitethroat, Dipper and Red kite will join my photographic joys.

I can hope for these photos because i know where they should be and hope to be there to grab a photo ( planning), but what about Landscapes, Portrait, and Architecture do members spend time to set up these shots?

Have you any tips ? are there any rules? does planning negate spontaneity, i see shots that are brilliant but for me are spoilt by a staged feel.

Hope you can enlighten me, look forward to any replies.

brian
Old 21-01-06, 07:46

I'm not a great planner myself, though most accomplished landscapers seem to find a location to go back to when the light is 'right.' This means all landscape shots are taken in 'dramatic' lighting giving the impression that the British landscape is always so illuminated!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 21-01-06, 11:49

Yes of course planning has its place. Being in the right place at the right time and with the right equipment eg seeds to attract specfic birds can only improve ones chances. That said, some of my best shots have been taken when I had not planned anything. A couple of weeks ago I was out walking, sat down resting actually, when a kingfisher landed quite close to me and I managed to get off a totally unplaned shot.
Old 22-01-06, 21:00

Thanks guys for your replies, it thought this might generate more interest, but i was clearly wrong.

brianr
Old 01-02-06, 23:08

Further to my previous post in this thread, here is the unexpected shot of the kingfisher. Not particularly good but it's the best I've got. Infact, it's the only one I've got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kingfisher.jpg (99.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-02-06, 22:39

Cuddy ,an interesting point.Yes,I do think it depends on environment ,time of day etc,and yes one can plan to have the most suitable equipment ,and to be in the right place at the right time.I live by the sea,50 yds from the beach,and 25yds from the river(just across the road from the house)I know that when the tide is high,esp at this time of the year,the ducks,eg Mergansers,GoldenEye,etc are swimming up the river as the tide comes in,bringing their fish.So that is the time to be in place ,hanging over the harbour wall with a 100-400 lens.Good close shots can be take.When the tide has gone out,the Redhsanks and Lapwings appear,along with Pied Wagtails etc,foraging for for food,so again ,hang around with a zoom lens.If the day is wind free(not very often) and the light is good,I always take digiscoping equipment,on the off chance there may be a seal on the sandbank,and later in the Spring,the Herons come to the shore line for their fish suppers.If the sea is calm,and the sun is setting,then I make sure I include a wideangle lens so that I do not miss one of our beautiful sunsets.So yes, to a certain degree,I do plan.although I am restricted as to where I can go ,and how close to the birds I can get,I do not have to carry anything ,I pile it all into my trike carrier,which does make things easier.Time consuming,but everything is to hand if I need it.But I must admit I am quite happy just to go out with a pair of binoculars and one camera and lens and take pot luck. But no,I do not set up shots ,as such,not expert enough,just happen to be lucky ,now and again.I think sometimes one can be too serious.I just enjoy being outside in the wonderful scenery,and watching the birds etc,and if I manage a good shot,then I feel quite contented.Many times I have been outside all day,and not taken a single photo,but have just enjoyed watching the birds and looking at the beautiful views of the mountains and sea.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 03-02-06, 01:06

Adey's reference to landscape photographers reminded me of a story about a pro who was taking shots of a Oast house in Kent. The weather was not very good at the time so he made a note in his diary to return during the cherry blossom time. On his return he found that the Oast had burnt down.

That sums up my sort of luck with planning. Either the lighting is no good, raining or the subject does not appear. Last summer I had great photographic plans for my holiday in Wales. Get loads of Landscape shots, see the Red Kites and maybe go further north to see the puffins. As we had 2 weeks the plan was to unwind abit for the first few days, the weather was nice then. Then disaster struck on the 3rd day. My wife tripped and broke her shoulder as she fell on the hard kitchen floor. So 2 days spent running to and throw to a hospital in Shrewsbury. A wheel bearing on the car gave out whist in Shrewsbury and had to call the AA out. With my wifes injury car journeys were restricted to a few miles. It was just as well as a local told me it was the wrong time of year for puffin. The weather dulled over for the rest of the holiday. The only consolations was I managed some decent shots off the bird feeder in the cottage garden.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated