WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Which filters

Old 13-02-06, 20:44

Default Which filters

I have been looking at filters and it seems from reading books etc that to replicate certain conditions it is best to do this pre processing, i.e at the time of taking the shot.

I dont want to spalsh out on a whole series.

Looking at those available it seems an ND filter, and warm up filter are the most useful.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are filters necessary? What are the pro's & cons?

Look forward to your cooments.

Nogbad
Old 14-02-06, 07:45

I never use my warm-up filter, having found that it's redundant when shooting RAW. The one filter I use more than any other is missing from your list. A circular polarising filter can do wonders for the sky.
Old 14-02-06, 07:54

If shooting digital there is no need for many filters as any desired effect can be added in the 'digital darkroom'. Filters that cannot be added later are graduated and polarising filters.

A popular choice however, are UV filters purely to protect the front lens element from damage. Once I popped a lens into a bag a bit sloppy and the lens cap became unpopped. After long journey in a car from Edinburgh my UV filter was very much scratched around the edges. Thankfully only the filter was damaged.

More recently UV filters are being phased out in favour for NC filters as protection (Neutral Colour) and do not have any warning or cooling effect to colour, hence neutral.
Old 14-02-06, 10:18

[quote=Stephen Fox]Filters that cannot be added later are graduated and polarising filters.QUOTE]

Graduated filters can be added later. Chromasoftware do a plug-in of Cokin filters. See link below.

http://www.chromasoftware.com/photographic_filters.htm
Old 14-02-06, 10:25

protection, graduated and polarising filter are the only ones in my bag.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 14-02-06, 18:28

Mmm... so ND and protection and Polariser filters seem a must have.

One question as I have lenses of different diameters will it be expensive for a Polariser for each lens?

I know you can by cokin system to fit all the lenses for the graduated, but again wont the espense of protection filters for each lens be high?

Cheers

Nogbad
Old 14-02-06, 18:55

I seem to be missing something, no-one appears to have said that a ND is a 'must have' in their responses.

And yes, a polariser for each lens will be expensive. You could buy the size that you use most often and a series of step-up and step-down rings for your less used lens sizes.

With any filter, a cheap one is a false economy.

Duncan
Old 14-02-06, 19:44

Hi Nogbad,
Filters,for what it's worth.
a) UV= Protection for your front lens element in hostile environs ie saltwater spray, desert sand/dust, rain etc.
b) Polars= Bright blue enhanced skies with clouds; or reduction/increase in reflections; special effects with plastic.
c)ND=A need to cut down light for a particular exposure, ie solar eclipse, images of the sun where the light intensity is huge.These are smoke coloured and vary in density from a pale grey to almost black.I have one somewhere which is almost black, and was used, back in the "old days" for multi-exposures of the sun rising and setting on one piece of film.
If you need polars ,then Cokin (large) with various filter thread adaptors might be a cheaper option?The rest of the filters are not much use unless you are seriously into BLACK&WHITE, ie the reds/greens/yellows etc.The special effects filters are perhaps useful, ie star bursts,multifacets,centre spots etc but remember you can only get away with these effects for so long before they become boring (yawn).
If you can afford/only have one filter, then go for a protection one as it will earn its keep over and over again.
regards Subzero.
Old 16-02-06, 23:13

Hi thanks for info, i have skylights as protection on the lenses. So a question?
Do I put all the filters on at the same time, i.e taking a shot of a sunset on water would I leave the skylight on and put the polariser on to reduce glare of the water? What effect does this have on the light gatthering element of the camera?

I have some extra cash which I thought i would use on buying some filters. I'm not interested in the gimmicky ones i.e star filters etc.

Nogbad
Old 17-02-06, 18:53

Not necessary, one will do, putting two filters together (stacked) MAY cause vignetting, ie darkening around the corners of your images.
The object of the "game" is to protect the FRONT ELEMENT of your main lens,
which cost many times more than a £5 filter.
regards Subzero.