WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The meaning of photos

Old 26-01-06, 06:37

Default The meaning of photos

Must there always be a meaning when we look at photos? I understand that there should be a balance and some form of composition. Is it not enough to look at photos for what they are?
Old 26-01-06, 08:00

Oooh, there's a deep and meaningful question. The answer could be debated on a philosophy forum for weeks.

All photos have meaning, the difference to me is how obvious that meaning is. I can like a photo just for what it is, the photo still has meaning, I just might not be able to conciously pin down what that meaning is at the time I look at it.

Does that make sense?

Duncan.
Old 26-01-06, 09:29

Dont think it makes any sense at all duncan really
I think this is a very interesting question. If you saw a macro photo of a flower for instance would this have a meaning or is it just a portal through which the photographer expresses what inspires him? we are all moved by different things, beauty, expression etc and some photos may well trigger memories of one kind of another. I think any true meaning stops with the photographer as we the viewer can never truely understand his motives for taking it. SOmetimes though like Duncan says a flower is just a flower
Old 26-01-06, 11:23

It is then true, that sometimes we just take photos of something that strikes as as beautiful. While, at other times we try to compose on purpose to convey a message, what ever that may be.
Old 26-01-06, 12:12

Yes gerhard I think many photos dont have any deeper meaning than the photographer wanting to portray what is beautiful. People often view paintings with meaning as I think their are so many different components such as use of colour and brushstrokes that can say so much but I dont think it is quite so true of photos. That isnt to say that sometimes there isnt meaning behind them but because they are showing a fleeting moment in time I think it is difficult to portray a meaning that is easily translated to the viewer.
Old 26-01-06, 14:00

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Much as some people read a story as simply a story while other people search for the allegory? Picures or stories can be taken very differently by individuals.
Old 26-01-06, 14:07

So if someone who produces a photo intends it to have one meaning and it has a totally opposite meaning to the viewer has the photo failed or is it really only the motivation and inspiration that has driven that person to take that photo in the first place what really matters?
Old 26-01-06, 14:44

I can see I have triggered a thought process Gerhard

No not all photographs we take are masterpieces some are just snaps.

Then there are some that you look at again 6 months later and wonder why you are keeping them

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-01-06 at 15:17.
Old 26-01-06, 15:04

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
So if someone who produces a photo intends it to have one meaning and it has a totally opposite meaning to the viewer has the photo failed or is it really only the motivation and inspiration that has driven that person to take that photo in the first place what really matters?
No, I don't think that the photo has failed at all. Failure would be only if photo mean't nothing to either the viewer or the shooter. It doesn't matter what the viewer takes from it, the interpretation is personal and if the shooter was inspired to take the picture in the first place, that's also good enough even if the hoped for result wasn't achieved. ( I have to think that or I'd have give up taking pictures ).
Old 26-01-06, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl
No, I don't think that the photo has failed at all. Failure would be only if photo mean't nothing to either the viewer or the shooter. It doesn't matter what the viewer takes from it, the interpretation is personal and if the shooter was inspired to take the picture in the first place, that's also good enough even if the hoped for result wasn't achieved. ( I have to think that or I'd have give up taking pictures ).

Glad you said that, I was thinking much the same myself, but after a bottle of Merlot I couldn't have put it quite as well