WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The meaning of photos

Old 27-01-06, 06:35

It is true, tastes differ. We take photo for our own pleasure and strife to take better photos. Then we tell the world to go to hell if they don't like them, but deep down, we would prefer that everybody thinks our photos are fantastic.
Old 27-01-06, 23:50

Hi Gerhard

I must agree with that thought entirely, I used to do lots of slide talks to natural history societies,bird and photographic clubs etc., I got a great buzz when there were oo's and aarr's from the audience, I got an even bigger buzz if the club chairman/woman praised the quality of my photographs at the end of the show.

nirofo.
Old 28-01-06, 13:23

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi Gerhard

I must agree with that thought entirely, I used to do lots of slide talks to natural history societies,bird and photographic clubs etc., I got a great buzz when there were oo's and aarr's from the audience, I got an even bigger buzz if the club chairman/woman praised the quality of my photographs at the end of the show.

nirofo.
What you are saying is completely true.
I did a slide show recently for our Natural History Society that was really well received. I gave me a real lift to hear the reaction.
Old 01-02-06, 02:06

Photos cannot have inherent, quantifiable meaning.

There may have been meaning in the heart/mind of the photographer at the time s/he took the photo, but the result - the photograph - carries with it no absolute meaning.

For themes or symbols which, due to statistical happenstance, are easily recognizable by a large portion of the viwers, a tacit agreement on the photos "meaning" might be assumed but that does not impart actual meaning to the photograph.

There is no fate that can not be surmounted by scorn.
- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus
Old 01-02-06, 13:27

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry O'Nolley

There may have been meaning in the heart/mind of the photographer at the time s/he took the photo, but the result - the photograph - carries with it no absolute meaning.

For themes or symbols which, due to statistical happenstance, are easily recognizable by a large portion of the viwers, a tacit agreement on the photos "meaning" might be assumed but that does not impart actual meaning to the photograph.
OK, if you say so.
Meanwhile my photos have meaning, good or bad, to me and to the people seeing them.
Old 01-02-06, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry O'Nolley

For themes or symbols which, due to statistical happenstance, are easily recognizable by a large portion of the viwers, a tacit agreement on the photos "meaning" might be assumed but that does not impart actual meaning to the photograph
Hi Terry

I'm sorry, I can't agree with that entirely, whilst it's true that some photographs carry no obvious meaning other than they depict a scene, an object etc, other photographs can and do carry implicit meaning. For example, the nostalgic feeling one gets when viewing a photograph of a particularly beautiful and well lit scene that brings back memories of being there, or it could be that even if you're not familiar with a particular scene you still get the feeling that you would like to be there because the picture instills that feeling. Another instance perhaps is where you have spent many hours photographing wildlife and to have the feeling of intimacy with the subject returned to you all over again when you view the photographs. There are many instances I can think of where the photograph imparts "meaning" for myself and no doubt others!

nirofo.