WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Just a quick one

Old 30-01-06, 15:37

Default Just a quick one

Looking at my photos on two different screen gives me 2 totally different photos due to a variance in colour temperature. So, I wonder what you see when you look at my photos? Theoretically I could go wild on my computer with colour corrections etc. but will never know what anybody else sees.
Maybe a disadvantage of digital photography if only viewed on screens?
Gerhard
Old 30-01-06, 15:47

Try setting the colour temperature of your monitors to 6500K (I think). Check the grey on WPF background for true grey also check whites and blacks for a true tone with no colour. It might be the two monitors you refer are set at different colour temperatures. I am away from my editing monitor at the mo but I am sure its set to 6500K. If the colour temperature is wrong then greys will be displayed with either a yellow, blue or pink/red tint. compare to a white paper besides the monitor.

Hope this helps for a quick reply to your quick one
Old 30-01-06, 15:53

You are right, it's definitely the monitor. When they get old (or cheap), the colour temperature drops. I am using a Toshiba laptop. Would not know where to adjust. The other one is some strange Taiwan imposture.

Last edited by Gerhard; 30-01-06 at 15:56.
Old 03-02-06, 20:52

You can buy Monitor calibration equipment. I'm not sure my colour perception is up to that, though. I'm also not sure it's that important either because you get a feel for how a picture will print once you get to know your equipment. My attitude is that if it prints OK, it'll share OK.
Old 08-02-06, 09:29

Thanks,
It prints fine, I just find it interresting to know what other people see, as not everybody has a monitor running on 6500K's
Regards Gerhard
Old 10-02-06, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Thanks,
It prints fine, I just find it interresting to know what other people see, as not everybody has a monitor running on 6500K's
Regards Gerhard
Hi Gerhard

If you are having trouble setting up your monitor colour and temperature via the monitor controls, then another way is to change your settings via your graphics card. This is only possible if you are running the graphic card makers driver software and not Windows default. This is not the preferred method but may allow you to get a better set up than you have at present. If you are not sure how to do this please PM me and I will talk you through it. I'm afraid to say however that you're never likely to get quality results from a laptop screen and it may not be possible to change the settings anyway!

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 10-02-06 at 02:12.
Old 10-02-06, 07:09

Thanks everybody for trying to help. I solved my problem purchasing a new monitor. Looks fine now.

But, I still would love to know what other people see!
Regards Gerhard