WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Missing out

Old 12-02-06, 18:44

Default Missing out

Ok here is a technical discussion for you.
I have tried many times to use manual settings when taking my photos but try as I might I cannot get to grips with it. I only ever shoot in av and as a result cannot take a reading for my exposures. A friend of mine says that because I am not working out my exposure technically and "properly" then I cannot understand the workings of my photos.

My question is this. I do have full control over my photography,and I do understand how it works (I just use a none technical method of working out my exposures) but because I am not using manual controls am I losing out?
Old 12-02-06, 19:08

Hi Annette. I don't know that you are losing out. With my particular camera (d50), I am just not happy with the preset modes as they seem to produce more of a grainier background. I don't seem to have this problem with the manual mode. Most times I prefer to have my photo slightly underexposed and I can't get that with the preset mode. Just my two cents worth.
Old 12-02-06, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
I only ever shoot in av and as a result cannot take a reading for my exposures. A friend of mine says that because I am not working out my exposure technically and "properly" then I cannot understand the workings of my photos.
Hi Annette,

I don't understand what you mean by "I cannot take a reading for my exposures" (because you are using Av). Your light meter is working in Av, just like it is in fully manual. The difference is that in Av, the camera is picking a shutter speed for you. If you pick the same sutter speed using the fully manual mode, the exposure will be the same. The meter reading in fully manual mode will give an indication of how much under/over exposed you are for any given combination of settings.

As long as you understand the effects of the aperture and shutter speed combination you are getting in Av mode, then I would say you aren't losing out. Have you read the "juggling three balls" thread in the technique sub-forum?

Duncan
Old 12-02-06, 19:40

Yes I see what you mean. I do fully understand about apertures, shutterspeeds and compensation fully I just chose to be lazy and opt for the av mode as I am faster with it. Thanks I feel better now
Old 12-02-06, 20:49

So to join in Annettes thread,I have only ever used P mode,it was the setting advised when I purchased my 100-400 lens 2 years ago.The only thing I alter is the ISO.Is there any relevant difference between AV and P?.Would I benefit by using the AV mode.Most of my shots are bird images,where I like to take a clear close up of the subject.But I do take quite a few landscape shots,mainly sunset shots over the sea.But unlike Annette,I cannot get to grips with settings and functions,I have tried,and if I have to start changing things in the camera,I tend to forget which setting relates to what,and by that time the bird may have flown etc.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 12-02-06, 20:57

Christine I have to say that P mode (the automatic setting) really isnt an ideal setting to use. Here you are completely at the cameras mercy and it can often get it quite wrong. I find that P mode often tends to overexpose more often than not. You need to get more control of your camera and that means learning what is going on with your settings. AV is a good mode to start in as it will select the shutter speed for you when you select the exposure. I could go on but really it is better to learn some basics of photography first. Im sure there must be a thread about that on here somewhere.
Old 12-02-06, 21:32

Christine, I think 'P' mode is fine. Keep an eye on the shutter speed in the view finder and if you think it is too slow, or too fast, correct it by just turning the thumb wheel near the shutter release. This will alter the shutter speed in increments and the aperture will adjust itself automatically to give correct exposure. This procedure must be started within 4 seconds after pressing the shutter release half way. Alternatively, you can manipulate the aperture used in the same way. There is no reason why you can't dial in exposure compensation if you want too. In affect you are choosing the program rather than letting the camera do it. Forgive me if you already know all this.

Last edited by John; 12-02-06 at 22:38.
Old 13-02-06, 01:52

Personally I don't use any of the programmed settings unless I'm forced to, such as at a party or an event etc. It's very rare that a program setting will get it right, it's usually a compromise to give an average result, adequate for most general photography I suppose. Of course some cameras don't allow you to use anthing other than it's program modes, where there is an option I find I get far better results by using Aperture or Shutter priority with centre weighted or spot metering, (matrix works well for some landscapes). In fact looking at my records I would say that about 90% of my pictures are taken using aperture priority and centre weighted metering. I find when using a telephoto lens for wildlife (500mm +1.4 converter mostly), I generally use aperture priority and centre weighted metering. Using this combination allows me to use the lens wide open, giving me the fastest shutter speed available for the light present at the time. I find I don't have to worry about the light fluctuating as the automatic metering takes care of that. For lanscapes and close-ups I generally use aperture priority again coupled with centre weighted or spot metering. I set the camera to manual focussing mode so that I can pick the point of focus myself and leave the lens set at that point on the tripod until the light or the subject is right for the shot. I do use focus confirmation to confirm my focussing point. For fast moving insects etc., I do use the autofocus, but once again I find aperture priority and centre weighted metering works best for me, leaves me free to follow the subject and not worry about camera settings. Come to think of it I don't know why I bought a camera with all the all singing and dancing settings on it, but then I suppose the fast automatic focussing and wind on are useful, as is the follow focus, the metering modes, hmmm.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 13-02-06 at 01:57.
Old 13-02-06, 07:56

Not withstanding what I have said about program mode I quit often use manual mode and an incident light meter. I enjoy making the settings and it reminds me of days gone by when the modern program modes were not available. Nostalgia is one of the main motivaters in my photography.
Old 13-02-06, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Christine, I think 'P' mode is fine. Keep an eye on the shutter speed in the view finder and if you think it is too slow, or too fast, correct it by just turning the thumb wheel near the shutter release. This will alter the shutter speed in increments and the aperture will adjust itself automatically to give correct exposure.
The feature John is describing here is known as "program shift". Bear in mind that not all cameras have this function.

Threads describing Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and fully Manual can be found in the Techniques sub-forum. Three "stickys" at the top of here:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...isplay.php?f=6

Duncan.