WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Please help!!

Old 27-02-09, 13:04

Default Please help!!

We are going mad trying to work this out!

I am going to try selling some of my photos on ebay and so, this morning printed one off on A4 photo paper, to see what it would look like. It was really pixelated and looked awful! The print was only 240px X 160px...So we tried resizing them in Photoshop Elements V5, but couldn't get it right! Because when we changed the pixels, the width and size of the photo changed and looked all distorted! How do we do this please??

Also, thanks to Pete on here, who posted the link, I want to register with a stock site and they only accept photos 1500 pixels high and 2048 pixels wide. Is there an easy way of doing this? We are tearing our hair out! Also, the cameras used for all my photos are one with 8MP and one with only 6MP, should that make a difference?

Thanks!
Old 27-02-09, 14:51

Sally,

A few things come to mind,
1) What format and quality is your camera set to? Are you shooting in jpeg, and if so, what number of pixels and what quality setting?
If you have your camera set to record at less than the full number of pixels available and/or less than maximum quality jpeg, then youcould get the results you describe.

2) How big is the image you are starting with? You say it is 240x160. If you are printing this onto A4 then I can imagine the results will be horrendous.

If you haven't got the original image at the maximum quality setting and maximum number of pixels your camera is capable of taking, then you could find yourself very limited by the size of the image you have.

Duncan
Old 27-02-09, 19:44

When you have PP'd an image and or resized I hope you have used 'save as' and then selected 'copy' so the original is untouched and then after that when you close the image on screen it asks if you want to save the changes select 'no' or you will only be left with the small sized image and have destroyed the original 8mp image. My first digital camera was 5mp and produced superb quality prints at A4 so it is not the mp of the camera that is in question. Hope this makes sense.