WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Suddenly realised I was being photographed

Old 26-03-09, 19:15

Default Suddenly realised I was being photographed

I was on the North York moors on Tuesday taking IR photos of Rievaux Abbey when I had that a strange feeling that I was also being snapped.

I turned to see the Google car passing by, A few minutes later it returned, so I had to photograph the "car" that was photographing me plus of course all the surrounding area.

Not a very good photo though as I was using my IR camera.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Google Car.jpg (95.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Rievaux Abbey IR.jpg (202.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 27-03-09, 08:40

Well spotted Harry.

There's been loads of media coverage of this new Google street view technology. People caught smoking dodgy substances, being sick on the pavement, and famous people caught unawares, Downing street, are just a few examples. They meant to blur out peoples faces, but bodged it, and in some cases missed this off, so car reg plates and identities were revealed!
If you have a GPS position or as detailed a position as you can, then maybe we can have a look on google in a few months time, at you pointing a camera at us.

cheers
Joe
Old 27-03-09, 10:21

Nice one Harry, well spotted - with all the fuss about genuine photographers being pounced on I'm surprised the police have allowed them to carry on.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 27-03-09, 10:38

I understand it takes several weeks for updates to be implemented. but will keep a look out for it, will add to this post with a link. Pity I was using my IR camera at the time

I've read about "Street View", but have as yet not checked it out, I did remove the vehicle reg. number of my friends camper, but left the google car to be seen.

Andy. "with all the fuss about genuine photographers being pounced on I'm surprised the police have allowed them to carry on."

I've made several posts on various forums to the same effect, but suprisingly no one appears interested. As for the police and government well maybe they will take advantage in some way of all these street views.

Harry
Old 27-03-09, 11:18

They probably have an arrangement with Google, they do like to keep a close eye on us......
Old 27-03-09, 12:08

...but such a lovely shot of Rievaux all the same.
Old 27-03-09, 18:46

Harry, yes, I think it may take quite a while before your photo is available.

Most of what is available at the moment is only major city areas, until they load up more.

Here's a link to one towards the upper end of Manchester's Deansgate;

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?utm_ca...mea-gb-gns-svn

(hope the link works properly?)

....if you adjust the camera you can see the Jessop Photo centre 'world camera centre'.....at the junction the lights are still on. If you head slightly south the lights are off! judging from the light levels it might have been towards closing time.

To demonstrate this is out of date, this jessop world camera centre has actually closed down now, with posters on the wall directing shoppers to the 'new' princess street branch.

.....extra points to anyone who finds a Woolworths store with it's doors open, or lights still on!!!! lol
Old 27-03-09, 18:48

darn it!...no the link will not work properly. oh well!....that's a shame click on the little orange man top left and drag to your chosen location...might be easier to zoom in on the map first though
Old 28-03-09, 09:12

Hi Joe, I had a look, but thought I was losing it as I couldn't find it.

Harry
Old 02-04-09, 17:13

I bet plenty of those G20 protesters in London yesterday, and probably later today will be getting that same feeling from the Met police photographers too. (a machine gun over one shoulder and movie cam/ stills cam combination on strobo frame over the other shoulder )