WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

SanDisk SD Card - Formatting Problem?

Old 27-06-09, 13:38

Default SanDisk SD Card - Formatting Problem?

Hi Guys
Recently ordered a 2GB SanDisk SD ExtremeIII card from Amazon for my Canon G7. Card arrived and I popped it into camera and took a few shots to experiment.
Stuck card into my card reader and plugged into PC USB. Auotoplay did not fire up so I was a bit suspicious. Navigated to card reader in "Computer" and tried to access pics. Received Windows message that card required formatting before it could be accessed.
Was a bit puzzled as I had read somewhere that all SanDisk cards come pre-formatted.
Did not proceed with PC formatting but replaced card in camera and selected the "in camera" format option. This done I took a few more pics and again tried to view them on the PC. Got the same problem - disk coming up as unformatted. This time selected the option to format in PC but got an error message saying Windows could not complete the format???
Just for assurance I got an older basic SanDisk card - formatted that in camera and took a few pics. Popped it into card reader and Hey Presto off it went as normal and the pics were accessed without problem.

Do I have a duff 2GB card or is something else wrong? Is there an issue with my card reader? It is a Hama USB 2.0 "8 in 1" reader which I have used successfully for several years. Is it up to the job of handling these 2GB Extreme cards? It has worked OK on smaller capacity cards (up to 1GB) made by both SanDisk and Kingston.

Any comments and help would be appreciated.
Old 27-06-09, 15:36

It could well be the card reader not being able to read the 2GB Extreme III cards. The first time I bought an identical card, I had the same sort of problem. It turned out to be the reader was too old to recognise this speed/size of card. Try and see if the card can be read by another, more up to date, reader.

Duncan
Old 27-06-09, 16:48

Try plugging the camera to PC USB cable in direct to the PC and try downloading and formatting the card that way, if that works ok then it looks like you will need a more up to date card reader. Some of the extreme cards cannot be read by some readers, I have a portable photobank with built in card reader that will not read extreme cards or cards above 2gb and it's only 2 years old!

nirofo.
Old 27-06-09, 17:25

Smile

I have had this happen sometime ago and it transpired that the card reader was an old version which would not read the card, as suggested plug the camera through the USB and you shouldnt have a problem!
Old 28-06-09, 11:35

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your input. Was already suspicious of my old Hama card reader after reviewing comments on other forums.
Tried the suggestion of connecting the camera direct to my PC with the SanDisk Extreme III in the camera. After the G7 driver installed, I was able to access the pics on the card without any problems.
This suggests the old reader can't handle these new higher speed/capacity cards.
Have already ordered a new SanDisk SD reader (only a fiver so not too much risk involved)
Thanks again for useful suggestions