WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Hand holding - man vs. woman

Old 16-01-06, 23:28

Default Hand holding - man vs. woman

No, nothing romantic

I've started this post several times over the last couple of days and was a bit hesitant to follow through for fear of evoking provocative answers but then I realized that won't happen here

Okay guys and girls, do you think women have an advantage with hand-holding a camera with long lens due to their "upper attributes"? I was thinking along the lines of more vibration absorption or would men have the advantage being able to snuggle their arms in closer to their body?
Old 16-01-06, 23:46

You're asking for trouble aren't you!

Dodging the main title, I'm going to repeat what I said in reply to a thread on BF - being left-handed is an advantage as is staying sober the night before and I guess that applies to male and female equally

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 17-01-06, 00:41

LOL. I really meant my post to be a legitimate question.
Old 17-01-06, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker

Dodging the main title, I'm going to repeat what I said in reply to a thread on BF - being left-handed is an advantage as is staying sober the night before and I guess that applies to male and female equally
LMAO!!

I'd quite enjoy snuggling my lens.......wait..........erm,....actually left handed you say, Adey?

Ok, Im sure i'll be thinkin about this one, now KC!
Old 17-01-06, 07:55

Not sure if the "upper attributes" make any difference. Bracing against the body will give stability, it's just that there's different bits to brace against. I'd agree that being left handed is likely to help and if we're talking big heavy lenses then I dare say that stronger people (either gender) will be at an advantage.

With my weak and feeble arms, I'm ever so glad I have a monopod for my big lens.

Duncan.

P.S. Just about to hit the "Post" button and thought of a business opportunity. You can get gadgets for just about any aspect of photography, why not design and market a "photographer's bra", specially shaped to allow superior bracing. Deluxe model with extended bracket and 1/4" tripod thread built in?
Old 17-01-06, 08:47
Admin

Watch this one, moderators, she could be trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin
No, nothing romantic

I've started this post several times over the last couple of days and was a bit hesitant to follow through for fear of evoking provocative answers but then I realized that won't happen here

Okay guys and girls, do you think women have an advantage with hand-holding a camera with long lens due to their "upper attributes"? I was thinking along the lines of more vibration absorption or would men have the advantage being able to snuggle their arms in closer to their body?
Old 17-01-06, 09:32

Quote:

Being left handed is not really an advantage, I am and still experiance lots of shake, but then, most of my photos are being taken on rather dull days with low sutter speeds.
Old 17-01-06, 09:51

The left-handed bit is perfectly genuine, btw. Being left-handed myself, I've appreciated that my stronger, more controlled arm is the one bracing the lens which I'm sure can be a help.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 17-01-06, 09:55

Im trying to work out the left handed bit. Cant see why it would be an advantage but maybe I am being dim.

LOL KC I think handholding at the end of the day probably comes down to technique and nothing to do with gendre. I have taught several people with bad camera shake and by improving their stance they have improved considerably. Not getting over excited and staying calm when you photograph something I think is important too. Take your time no matter that the bird looks like it is going to fly away at any second. Rushed shots can be excellent but all too often i think the grip suffers. Having said that I have rather large attributes and I dont have any trouble
Old 17-01-06, 12:06

Quote:
The left-handed bit is perfectly genuine, btw. Being left-handed myself, I've appreciated that my stronger, more controlled arm is the one bracing the lens which I'm sure can be a help.
Hmm, where do I fit in then? I'm left handed - but for writing only...