View Single Post
Old 29-01-07, 05:28

Christine; Don't know at what level of commitment for the new printer purchase you are in. If not too late, you may want to have a look at this, many at your price range (In USA).

LINK

Seems all the serious photographer agree on 6k series of Canon Pixma and these days the printers with blue tooth compatibility, in addition to usual multi memory reader, on printer LCD monitor, free standing print capability (Without computer) are the more popular ones. Though the last one that I got and is collecting dust on my desk is a HP photosmart 7755. So I am really rusty in advising you to a good one of the today's market.

But to be honest as I am not one who use the printer for photoprinting at home, I did not want to just look smart with some un-tested suggestion. I like to express my view point of home photo printing, though may not be at all of concern for you or others. So if you have something important, you may want to stop reading here.

When working the best price per photo picture in long run (About 1-2 years that is usual life of a inkjet printer, and in fact if works for longer, its gonna get more expensive...), a 4x6 is best reported as ~20¢. Well if I close my eyes and get to any nearby store, the usual pay is 20-22¢. Of course my norm for a 4x6 is ~10¢, that is to say when I am in hurry and completely out of one of those 25 to 100 prints for free deals... Larger size are a different story, rarely to be found free. Now this is without hassle of dealing with printer, finding the right paper, play with cable, warm up, clean up, that scary thing called R e f i l l i n g to deal with the cost of cartilage that is more than the printer price itself in no time. I order on line and pick up in store (A tad cheaper and much more time consuming). So I see no reason to have that photoprinter at home. Fortunately I have thought kids that their school project must be done at school library, both good in terms of time efficiency and also for where finding the right printer is not a problem. With regular sales, I do have a few unopened color printer in garage in case an emergency for school work arise. These typically are sold cheaper (Sometimes after Mail in rebate, free) and always the cartilages that come with them on other side of the shelf is more expensive than the package itself..., just with hope that in long run you will use and pay them back by cartilage purchase. So typically once printer's cartilage is finished and injecting them with few drop of water, doesn't rejuvenate the machine, they find their way to trash. The real printer for me is the cheapest B&W laser, right now Samsung 1740 ML that I got some of them as low as 15$ few years back and are reserved only for routine printing and not picture. This works quite well for me. BTW I rarely print my pictures as prefer monitor display on living room or for guests, with easy accessible monitors that are on wireless networking. This comply well with my philosophy of saving the green forest (Paperless anytime and anywhere I can) and lesser pollution of earth, in addition to the fact that light of transmission from a monitor is much vivid and superior to light of reflection from a paper... Not to forget, paper pictures feed in time, burn and are heavy to transport. In short if you really don't need the printer, you might as well treat yourself to lack of it for photo and consider a B&W long lasting toner laser for everything else (I found this particular samsung toner very easy to refill as it has screw top and no need for drill and toner powder re-fill (That is to say once a year).

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 29-01-07 at 05:33.