View Single Post
Old 26-08-06, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycat
Thanks for the replies.

Extension tubes certainly sound like the way to go, but I'm unsure how much benefit they will be for longer focal length lenses, if the main aim is get maximum magnification.

Presumably the tubes work by effectively shortening the minimum focusing distance between the camera and the subject, thus allowing you to go beyond 1:1. I can see how this extension of say 60mm would significantly affect a 50mm lens, but how much affect would it have on say a 105mm or a 180mm, which presumably have a larger min focusing distance?

Given this, what lenses do you use your tubes on?

I am not a qualified engineer so someone correct me if wrong, but I believe you can achieve the same magnification with any lens, only with longer focal lengths, you need larger extension. Having said that, this later situation gives you the benefit of longer sensor to object distance, in other word if you are taking a macro picture of a live bee, with a 28mm on extension vs 200mm, keeping the mag ratio the same at both egs by changing the extension length, you are more likely to get a bee sting with 28mm as you are very close to sharp, uncomfortable at time creature.

Now if you add the flash to this situation, there might be some situations (Still macro photography) where you find yourself more comfortable to be close to the subject to utilize all that lux of flash.

Again consider that when doing macro, one of the essential elements being tripod, situation could be easier to handle with a lighter equipments or you need heavier tripod to hold that long lens on extension attached to body.

Having said it before, let me share my personal secret of macro. If you have a bellow, use a mid size zoom (My favorite, the cheaper Canon 70-300mm), using length of extension in bellow for primary magnification factor rise, then using zoom ring of lens for focusing purpose. Macro is so much fun and easy this way especially for hand held situations that you need lesser magnifications such as daylight photography at garden, with good distance to subject especially the not so friendly live and shy creatures.

Hope it help and have fun. BTW do not underestimate the power of bellow (Link to another eg).

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 26-08-06 at 18:41.