WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

How Slow can you HandHold a Camera?

Old 20-02-08, 12:24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Yes, that's what I meant, but after breathing out. Holding an inhaled breath does keep your trunk stiffer, but breathing in also increases your pulse rate, and hence the slight shake in your hands that goes with it. There is also an increase in muscle tension, that can lead to tremor. Holding an exhaled breath, which I prefer, slows the pulse, reducing that shake, and also helps relax the muscles of your upper body, reducing any tension tremor.
Exactly the technique I used to use target shooting to minimise the shake of the rifle
Old 22-02-08, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Exactly the technique I used to use target shooting to minimise the shake of the rifle
That is the key thing.
If you target shoot, that is the same exact technique you want to use here too. Good that cameras don't give you a kick back...

Gordon where did you get that concept of increasing pulse rate with the inspiration? I thought at the end of inspiration due to higher venous return to heart by increase is size of right ventricle (Expanded chest), you get higher ventricular ejection fraction and volume (End diastolic volume), therefore the pulse rate actually comes down to keep cardiac out put the same... Muscle tension is a different story though.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 22-02-08, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
That is the key thing.
If you target shoot, that is the same exact technique you want to use here too. Good that cameras don't give you a kick back...

Gordon where did you get that concept of increasing pulse rate with the inspiration? I thought at the end of inspiration due to higher venous return to heart by increase is size of right ventricle (Expanded chest), you get higher ventricular ejection fraction and volume (End diastolic volume), therefore the pulse rate actually comes down to keep cardiac out put the same... Muscle tension is a different story though.
It's a long while since I studied physiology, but I'll do my best! There is an increase in venous return to the right side of the heart from the peripheral circulation caused by the lowering of intrathoracic presure on inspiration. Pulmonary circulation is not affected as it is entirely intrathoracic. I dont think there is a significant increase in volume of the heart chambers in inspiration (I could be wrong here, from a distance of 20yrs, but if I remember, I'll check next week when I can get at the books at work) The pulse rate increases towards mid-inspiration as a result of increased return (and thus helps get more blood through the pulmonary circulation) and then falls back at peak inspiration. On expiration, intrathoracic pressure rises, reducing peripheral venous return, and heart rate falls. If an expired breath is held for a long time, pulse will accelerate again in response to hyopxia.
I may well have the mechanisms wrong, but I do remember the effect as I was the victim for the demonstration! Just checking empirically now, and it still happens! (Though again from memory, the effect is more pronounced in young and fit cardiovascular systems; maybe there's hope for me yet as 40 closes in!)