WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 600mm F5.6

Old 20-08-08, 20:45

Default Nikon 600mm F5.6

Has anybody seen or experienced one of these?

LINK

Looks like one nice deal for the price, if the glass quality is the usual Nikon.
I see very little Nikon's coating (That is usually Green on older models, violet on newer ones).

May be of special interest to Don who wanted a big long lens with good light gathering in manual mode.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 21-08-08, 15:52

Interesting find Sassan. This is a lens that dates back to the Nikon F days. Lens mount is similar to pre AI but without the ridge. Even though there is no meter coupling I believe this lens can only be used on : Nikkormats, early FM/FE, F throught to F4. The mount surround is wide enough to foul any Nikon camera with a fixed AI post hence its limited compatability, particularly with modern kit. It could be mounted with a short ext tube but then of course there would be no infinity focus. So this is definately a collectors item.

Interesting you should dig this one up though as I am currently on a bit of a historic jag.

Answering a query from Foxy I found most of my camera gear reciepts going back to the mid sixties. So I am refreshing the brain on developments since then for stuff I no longer have by trawling historical societies web sites. E-bay is also good for seeing images of some of this stuff particularly when the kit pic is not a mini library shot.

My old non Nikon kit was Mirada G with T prism ( link to an E-bay auction for a pic )http://cgi.ebay.com/Miranda-GT_W0QQi...d=p3286.c0.m14, Pentax Spotmatic ( first version ), Yashica 635, and Bronica medium format, ETRS ( Stevies ) and SQA ( mine ).

Also interesting is the cost new of that old stuff relative to earnings at the time . Even my Miranda G ( poor mans Nikon F ) bought in a duty free port cost over 6 weeks wages at the time. Kind of makes mid range gear of today look cheap. No doubt the influence of electronics and modern production methods. Mind you the drive to upgrade was not the same then as I had some kit in regular use for 15 years.

Don
Old 26-08-08, 10:53

Good to know that you are busy with something exciting Don.

Yes ebay is very nice place to find some of the very unique gems but one needs to be careful too with the growing scams.

As for the reference images, yes ebay is very useful, unfortunately image will get deleted in 3 months or so and wish if one could access the very old items just for the sack of antiquity of it.

Here is another catch of mine that seems to be just built for you. Have peak:

LINK
Nikon 300mm F/2. Must have been built for the jet black night hunting owl!

" JOE BIDEN
Old 27-08-08, 10:34

Wow that is a monster. I guess as low light capability of sensors grows we will see even less of this sort of thing.

Buy it now price US $22,189.00 + 19% VAT Just think what you could get for that.

Nice bit of history though, so thanks for the post.

Don
Old 30-08-08, 23:19

Oh yes.
You can have a car with gas price payed for many years to come, including inflation at that price tag.

BTW wouldn't it be nice if we could start a thread on most exotic or rare or unusual cameras and accesories? Could be a potentially interesting one to unwind, leave alone possessing them.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 31-08-08, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
............................BTW wouldn't it be nice if we could start a thread on most exotic or rare or unusual cameras and accesories? Could be a potentially interesting one to unwind, leave alone possessing them.
Sassan, I will give this some thought. Did you see my post #25 in this thread specially for you, being a Canon guy ?
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...p?t=368&page=3.

Don