WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

WPF Competition

Old 05-06-06, 23:24

Default WPF Competition

Hopefully this will start a discussion on the subject.

What purpose does the WPF monthly competition serve ?

Are you put off from voting and why ?

Are you put off from entering and why ?

Do you feel the competition voting is fair ?

Is a prize the main incentive for people to enter competitions ?

Personally I felt the monthly theme idea we had without a vote created more interest and challenged people to explore avenues.

What are your thoughts ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 06-06-06, 09:50

Mmmm ....

Competions in lots of activities, and differing logics. Some are first past the post with an ordered 1,2,3 and others mark on merit so a gold, silver, or commended standard is attainable by many entries in that particular comp. provided they merit that award.

I have seen this in the Model Engineering world. Some will only enter at Sandown Park as each entry is judged on merit, whereas at Donnington it is a first past the post and real nit picking can be used to decide the outcome. What might have got a gold at Sandown may only get 2 or 3 if all of the catagory entrants are of exceptional standard. You meet some very unhappy people.

Photography for me is a fun hobby and I have no interest in entering comps. I still post pics and they will either appeal or not, to the viewer. Similarly in model engineering terms I have exhibited at several top shows but never in the comp. catagory. So although its a public display of what you have done I feel it to be less serious.

Mention comps and some people get very serious about it.

Having said that, some people really enjoy the challenge of comps, and for them I am quite happy to cast a vote.

For me unofficial themes are a far more relaxed affair, and therefore any contribution is done for pure enjoyment.

For competions generally I prefer that awards are made on merit rather than first past the post. The results from previous comps here would have shown more than one Gold in each case. The problem here is judging would have to be done by a panel to be fair to all entries.

Don
Old 06-06-06, 22:05

A challenge to find a suitable entry for the chosen topic,and the fun of entering the comp.It is very interesting to view the entries and see where oneself could have made a better contribution.
But the whole thing is surely a lighthearted venture,and not to be taken so very seriously that it is not enjoyable.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 08-07-06, 23:00

I'd love to enter competitions but just don't feel my pics are upto standard. It puts me off but also encourages me to practice more.

Fiona
Old 08-07-06, 23:24
Super Moderator

I say the same as Christine I find that a competition gives me an incentive to go out and look to fill the criteria for the theme of the month. It can give your photography a boost in an area you haven't tried before. I am not interested in a prize, its my personal challenge.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 09-07-06, 13:47

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I enjoy the comps and would like to see them continue. The less organized monthly theme ones that ran in threads were ok but I think that people put less work into their entries and viewers didn't seem to look closely at the quality of the pictures.
Old 10-07-06, 10:11
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
A challenge to find a suitable entry for the chosen topic,and the fun of entering the comp.It is very interesting to view the entries and see where oneself could have made a better contribution.
But the whole thing is surely a lighthearted venture,and not to be taken so very seriously that it is not enjoyable.
I agree and add that the loose topic description allows different ways to look at a subject to be shared.

The number of votes compared to the number of members is a bit disappointing and I suspect some of the votes are cast to cheer up those of us whose standards and/or opportunities are not actually winning standard. Perhaps if not too complicated the poll could be 2 part, either 1st and 2nd choice or split real winner/valiant try
Old 22-07-06, 07:32

surely if no one entered their wouldn't be a competition but its taking part. and it is interesting trying to find a picture for the competition. i mainly take rallying photos. and birds of pray. cricket ect. i see the competition as another way of looking at photography. (in a totally different way)
Old 22-07-06, 10:04

I have to say that I don't really like competitions, though that might be connected to not winning any (in the days many years ago when I used to enter).

One problem is that people tend not to like the pictures that appeal to me and vica versa. The other problem is that it makes photography competitive, rather than simply a way to record something unusual, or appealing. I've just been looking at a photograph of a wasps nest on WPF. It might not win a competition, but it is in its own way remarkable due to an excellent subject which is not often seen.

Leif
Old 23-07-06, 20:48

1- A challenge and comparison of myself to ways other expose.

2- Love to vote. Would like to see I can not vote for my own picture, though.

3- Discovered it last month, entered. Would like more reminders and shinny ones too such a pop ups or invitation to participate in Competition somewhere on the web site that is well visible. In other words this can be overlooked easily.

4- Haven't been here for long, can't answer this but when people vote in a democratic way, that is not biased, Nothing can go wrong. If something is wrong, you can smell it sooner or later.

5- Last thing I may consider is a prise. Nevertheless that is the last thing I think about. And to be fair, should that exist, I feel the financial needs are to be provide in way that is not a burden on this generous site, nor cause bias in voting.

6- Sorry but I disagree and like the voting even if this means I score nothing all the time. I think challenge without vote is just like that movie serial that you like and suddenly you come to the end of show saying "To be continued, but serial is over for ever"

7- I just gave them, see above.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 24-07-06 at 01:44.