WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Which macro lens is better?

Old 08-01-21, 00:08

Default Which macro lens is better?

Hello.

I am looking at buying a macro lens for my Nikon d40. I am trying to decide on which lens is a better lens overall. I'm considering the Tamron 90mm f 2.8 or the Nikon 105mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is 15mm a huge difference?
Old 08-01-21, 15:16
Super Moderator

The focal length difference between these two will not make a significant difference in real world use. In my opinion a focal length of around 100mm (so either of these lenses) is an ideal length for macro. I shoot Canon and have not used either of these lenses so cannot comment on which of the two would be better.
Old 08-01-21, 17:19

Thank you for the feedback! I suspected it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it's good getting other opinions.
Cheers!
Old 10-01-21, 10:26

First tell me: Does it have to be an AF lens?

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-01-21, 23:08

I primarily shoot in manual mode, but on some occasions it would be nice to have the option of AF. Though some of the research I've done on some lenses are either not compatible with my camera model or AF won't work with my camera
However I just read the Tamron 90mm made in 2008 and after models apparently have a motorized lens, but I'm havingproblems finding one.
Old 11-01-21, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potp View Post
I primarily shoot in manual mode, but on some occasions it would be nice to have the option of AF.
Macro is all about sharp lens, manual focusing and good complimentary light.

Well that is the key points that can save you a bundle.
And yes, with your Camera body (D40 -One that does not have in camera AF motor for some Nikkor lenses) to have AFing, you need to have a lens that has internal motor i.e. NIKKOR AF-S, AF-I or *AF-P type or equivalent lenses. LINK

But then and frankly, Macro in true sense, is all about "Manual Focusing", in fact, all manual, for the best result and the learning curve here is absolutely easy. With your express ability and will to focus manually, I strongly suggest you go directly for a manual lens. Why?
1- These lenses (Older generation macro lenses) are build like a tank and seriously, nothing much can go wrong with them.
2- You can find them very cheap. Almost at a fraction of any digital true macro (1:1 or 1:2 lens).
3- with a slight and easy modifications, you get even surpass the 1:1 ration, as the need might be.
4- The low cost of set up, ease of operation, affordability, Can provide you all ease for a true " First hand on procedure", experience to titrate your real like for this type of photography and should you really feel this is the way to go and still your need AFing (That I seriously doubt), you can then, always spend more. So in case this wasn't for you, at least you have not broken your bank!

And if by now I've convinced you that manual is the way to go, then I have a few very very good suggestions for you, because your choices are really plenty but I give you the best of best. So you only get what that makes you happy and provide enough support to produce the best of macro can offer.

The BEST bang for buck, then the best resolution, color saturation/render/ micro-contrast, right off the camera can be provided by one of the best secrets of Macro photography, The Pentax Super Macro Takumar 50mm f/4 Prime Lens. Don't allow F4 makes you to think this is a slow lens... As you probably know better, in Macro, you already have a very very narrow depth of field. Thus you want to utilize the right F and the sweet spot is generally about F 11 ish, where you have the best of optical features, with omitted all aberrations and the diffraction of plus 16 has not yet set in to distort image quality.
Well this Pentax is an old vintage macro lens with Screw M42 mount that can last you and your offspring's, several life time worth of best macro experience (Attention: You want "Screw / M42 mm" mount and not Pentax K mount of this lens that is the newer and less refined version). To me, it's the true Number one secret in this field. You will be amazed by the sharpness and all that this gem has to offer. You should be able to obtain a good, clean copy of this lens at or about US $100 from eBay, Reputable stores that sell used items, photography web sites or local shops.

Though almost every manufacture has a similar Focal Length and F stop macro lens, this Takumar is the Crème de la crème of all. You wont regret.
Of course you realize that you need a cheap M42 to Nikon F adapter and may be bellow, microfocusing rails (Something like this in LINK- if you click early before it is removed) and some sort of macro flash, that though secondary requirement, can make your job a lot easier and I'm pretty sure you have made enough home work on that ground.

The other suggestion for a good but cheap manual macro lens (And to stay close to the Focal Length you have proposed initially- And you know that FL means the "Working Distance" between photographer and the subject - Something crucial that is left to the need and taste of the photographer) (Ask more if in doubt, for additional info that is beyond the current topic of discussion), is Tamron's King of Macro! the Adaptall type mount lens. That 90mm F2.5 (All manual and not the AF F2.8 one you have already considered) that I can see being sold as cheap as $60 ish and is a hell of a macro lens, in every respect. If you know about Adaptall Tamron lenses, you know via the right native interchangeable adapter, these lenses are universal and can virtually fit any camera (So should you change your platform in future, you can still carry on with your beloved macro lens). They come in two versions, original 52B (All metal, cylindrical - rather unique shaped lens) and newer (More plasticky thus less desirable) 52BB and both should be almost the same price. They both have identical optical so go for whichever that is cheaper and is in better condition.

The key when choosing an older lens is to get one that optically is clear. Cosmetic conditions should not worry you but even slightest of glass imperfect, fungus, haze, scratch, separation are all deal breakers. The good news, there are plenty of these out there and with little search, you should be able to find the right one for much cheaper than you thought, thus having bonus fund for the rest of macro gear s.a. Flash / rails/ etc.

Hope this lengthy discussion wasn't boring and in fact useful! Have fun.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 12-01-21, 00:51

Wow! This is fantastic information. Thank you so much for providing me with such a comprehensive response. I definitely learned a few things. I really appreciate the link also to Nikon s list of compatible lenses to their camera models. That is very helpful!
You sure know your stuff. I will do my research on those lenses you recommended.
Thanks again! Much appreciated!!
Old 07-10-21, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potp View Post
Wow! This is fantastic information. Thank you so much for providing me with such a comprehensive response. I definitely learned a few things. I really appreciate the link also to Nikon s list of compatible lenses to their camera models. That is very helpful!
You sure know your stuff. I will do my research on those lenses you recommended.
Thanks again! Much appreciated!!
Nevertheless and despite all the gems of yesteryears, the New Digital era does not seems to be asleep or forgotten. So if you are willing to spend a tad more (But obviously not to the extent of the need for selling a kidney or arm and foot!), seriously look into the lens I am going to name here. There are many other by the same company, all with similar excellent spects, most significantly RAZOR sharp image quality and mostly free of usual aberrations that are impossible not to see in older generation glasses (s.a. Chromatic aberration and various degrees of internal reflection/flare, etc.) but the focal length that I found to be the MOST rewarding is the 105mm (That ole golden FL). Yes if I drive your interest, this is the lens:

105mm F/2 Laowa made by Venus Optics
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2_smooth.html

A LINK here (Currently, as of early Oct 2021, Canon EF mount version is $480 before tax, but your price may vary on that side of the pond and depending on which mount you use) (By the way, there is more to it as far as various mount goes, so if you got seriously interested, let me know and will give you more info on this).

Yes, that fast F/2 makes it additionally a wonderful portrait lens as well if you are into that or potentially may want to go in that financially well rewarding direction. Then did I mentioned that this is a FULL FRAME manual lens? and then its 14 blades ensure an excellent bokeh, even when the lens is stopped down to your desired aperture.
For the disclosure and record, may I document here that I have absolutely no financial interest in this company and never ever got any sample or been sponsored by them. All my opinion her is base on hands-on, personal experience, expressed as a message to a co-photographer friend.

One last thing you need to know, whatever you do, don't forget the power of hand on the procedure as macro is one field that needs a lot of personal experience and a learning curve. So the earlier you do it, the better you'll be in a long run. Have a lot of fun in your endurance.

NB: Seems the LINK doesn't work and the site redirects it to a different page, so please use the name of lens as keywords, on your favorite online photogear site to find it.

" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 07-10-21 at 19:31.