WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

alternatives to CS3

Old 04-02-08, 10:13
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbunion View Post
Not even close, Chris!
Depends on whether you are trying to get the pic of it as it was or as it might appear in your dreams Nick
Old 04-02-08, 10:36

None of my photos are for documentary evidence. They all have something "done".
Old 04-02-08, 12:46

Actually you can get pretty close to this in PhotoImpact with one click, using the style 'sunny'. The roadway starts to break up a bit but that is due to the low resolution image, it can be correct by cloning the original layer using a 'hue and saturation' blend. Other areas can be moved more in line with the desired result by using the dodge tool. A few touches of extra saturation in a couple of areas, and that just leaves the addition of a purple cast. Note I've not used masks, layers or any of the other tools available in PI. I've yet to see a PS tutorial that can't be replicated in PI, it just does it differently.
Old 04-02-08, 19:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Depends on whether you are trying to get the pic of it as it was or as it might appear in your dreams Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbunion View Post
None of my photos are for documentary evidence. They all have something "done".
and that I think is the difference... I'm with Nick on this one. When I take pictures, I'm trying to create a work of art, not a record shot. Often at the taking stage I have already envisaged some of the things that I will need to do to get the image I have in mind. Reflecting the image horizontally may help with the lines in a composition taking the viewer's eye to where you want them to look. Cloning bits out removes distractions. Darkening the corners of the image is about holding the viewer's attention in the image. Lightening particular elements helps stimulate the attention. Playing with the lighting/contrast/saturation etc etc give an image life and interest.
Old 04-02-08, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
and that I think is the difference... I'm with Nick on this one. When I take pictures, I'm trying to create a work of art, not a record shot. Often at the taking stage I have already envisaged some of the things that I will need to do to get the image I have in mind. Reflecting the image horizontally may help with the lines in a composition taking the viewer's eye to where you want them to look. Cloning bits out removes distractions. Darkening the corners of the image is about holding the viewer's attention in the image. Lightening particular elements helps stimulate the attention. Playing with the lighting/contrast/saturation etc etc give an image life and interest.
ABSOBLOODYLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!
I doff my hat in your general direction young Gidders!
Old 04-02-08, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
Actually you can get pretty close to this in PhotoImpact with one click, using the style 'sunny'. The roadway starts to break up a bit but that is due to the low resolution image, it can be correct by cloning the original layer using a 'hue and saturation' blend. Other areas can be moved more in line with the desired result by using the dodge tool. A few touches of extra saturation in a couple of areas, and that just leaves the addition of a purple cast. Note I've not used masks, layers or any of the other tools available in PI. I've yet to see a PS tutorial that can't be replicated in PI, it just does it differently.
The photo was processed in 3 layers. A sharp layer, a blur layer and the background. The top layer was blended using Screen and the second layer blended using Multiply. These were also selectively dodged and burned before flattening. I don't think the low res version is highlighting the effect particularly well, but it cannot be achieved in one layer.
Old 04-02-08, 20:58

All the way with Greenbunion and Gidders on this. Add composition (including angles) and the photographer has actively created his/her image instead of passivley taking a snapshot. It's what photography is all about for me, and I couldn't do it without PS.
Old 04-02-08, 22:08

but it cannot be achieved in one layer.

PI has multiple layers, masks, etc, etc. 19 different blend modes, sharpening, blurring, countless bells and whistles, yadda-yadda-yadda.
Old 04-02-08, 22:17

C'mon guys & gals, it's not about which is the best software (because there is no doubt! ) it's about what you are happy with/can afford/use.

I have CS3, Lightroom and NX - I would not want to be without any of them as I use them all differently for different tasks. But I'm equally sure that if all I had was Gimp/PI/PSP then I'd still make do - they are after all only tools and it's my creativity which makes (or breaks) the images.

My New Website
Old 05-02-08, 00:09

My last comment!
Why be prepared to spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds buying the best camera you can afford (Nikon, Canon, these are generally accepted to be the very best cameras money can buy), then more hundreds and thousands on the best piece of glass to go on the front, but not spend money on the generally accepted best processing tool. Sorry, but I can't see the logic.