WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Wedding Photography Tips

Old 19-07-09, 10:19

Post Wedding Photography Tips

Hi,

I am going to a wedding next saturday & I was wondering if anyone has any tips? Should i shoot in Jpeg or Raw? & what setting to have it on?
Any tips will be greatly recieved
Lmc
Old 19-07-09, 16:36

If your camera can shoot RAW+JPEG, then I'd go for that: you'll have the option of using either. If only RAW or JPEG, then go for RAW if you're happy doing some Photoshop work. You'll have to meter for the bride's dress (assuming white) otherwise there's the danger of blowing any highlights. I've never used flash photography, so couldn't advise on that, but check that it's OK to use (might be distracting for guests). Go for highest ISO that your camera can handle without caausing noise.
There are other members who will be able to give you more and better advise, but hope that this helps.
Old 19-07-09, 17:58

Have you discussed what the customer wants? Talk to the bride and groom and make sure you know what they want from you. Go to the venue(s) in advance. See where suitable locations will be. Look at where the sun will be at particular times of day. Plan your shots around this sort of information. Planning and understanding your customer will be far more critical to making a success than the camera settings you use.
Old 20-07-09, 11:52

i'm assuming you are going to the wedding as a guest not the official 'tog. In which case from the shots point of view I'd look at getting candid shots and different shots to those the photographer is taking. While the group shots are being taken maybe stand back with a telephoto lens and go for head and shoulder shots. The main thing is not to get in the way of the official photographer, he is being paid to do a job and doesn't need someone else with a dslr shooting over his shoulder.
I'd certainly shoot raw, Brides dresses and dark suits are an exposure nightmare so the greater latitude raw gives for highlight recovery could come in handy.
I shoot in AV or manual depending on what mood I'm in and how tricky a shot is to meter. When using flash I use AV with a high iso as much as possible to keep the flash input to a minimum and use the ambient light as much as possible. Don't use your flash during the service, most Vicars and registrars take a dim view of it even with the official photographer.
Hope that helps, but the main thing is enjoy the day!
Old 20-07-09, 21:09

I have shot 2 weddings - one as second shooter for my sister-in-law's do, the other as sole photographer (for my father - so 'no pressure' there to get results, I dont think!) It was much more fun being second shooter - as has been suggested above, go for candids, different angles from the main photographer etc, confident that a real pro is doing all the core work - you're providing the frills. If you're THE photographer, it's a lot more stressful - talk to the couple, find out what they want, visit the venue and talk to the celebrant beforehand, control the crowd for group shots etc. Taking the pictures is almost the easiest bit! Then it's editing, printing and presentation, all with a pretty quick turn around. Hats off to the wedding pros is all I can say!
Old 20-07-09, 21:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul goode View Post
i'm assuming you are going to the wedding as a guest not the official 'tog. In which case from the shots point of view I'd look at getting candid shots and different shots to those the photographer is taking. While the group shots are being taken maybe stand back with a telephoto lens and go for head and shoulder shots. The main thing is not to get in the way of the official photographer, he is being paid to do a job and doesn't need someone else with a dslr shooting over his shoulder.
I completely agree, there is nothing worse when shooting a wedding than having some trying to shoot over your shoulder. Let the official 'tog get the groups and the classic shots and get some nice candids to compliment these.
Old 21-07-09, 07:38

Thanks for all your tips, im not the offical photographer, im just going to a friends wedding & they have asked me to take some shots through out the day. Hope the weather is fine
LMC
Old 21-07-09, 22:10

Use of flash, even on bright days outdoors can help 'lift' the black murkyness of dark suits. If used properly, flash will also add a twinkle to their eyes. It is no accident that many a paid snapper can be seen with hi spec digital body with a decent flash attached (use to be a 'blad with metz 60 series in film days), and probably an assistant with a reflector (not always practical to position for candid tho)
Photography permission during the service depends on many factors, not least the venue location. Always worth enquiring before lifting the camera to the eye. Many venues, including churches are more tolerant than you might think. Some vicars will even mention their position on the matter, and when best to take potographs before the ceremony starts.

Have a good day
Old 22-07-09, 18:58

What lense would you use ive got 18-55mm & a 55-250mm??
Old 23-07-09, 11:58

If it is a friends wedding and they have a photographer then don't bother covering the wedding itself. You'll simply be doubling up and you are
likely to get in the way and annoy the main photographer too. You are best capturing the scenes around the wedding, candids of the guests, how they are reacting to events and such. Basically you are free to take a non traditional approach to the subject, so think about photographing the event rather than the wedding itself. Have a couple of the B&G but you can miss out on all the formal group shots.

About 25 years ago I was asked to do an acquaintances wedding. I gave them a price that just covered the cost of materials, printing and developing about £45. They thought I should be giving them the entire thing for free, and hired a professional at £250, I guess that after they found out the real cost they didn't think they could approach me again.

Anyway I covered the wedding as above, had cheap machine prints made, gave them the negatives and address of a pro printer. I never did get to see their wedding album, but friends that did later told me that it was all my photos.