WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

which wide angle for the 5d

Old 31-05-07, 12:07

Smile which wide angle for the 5d

Hi all,

Im a huge fan of wide angle, i have the sigma 10 - 20 which i adore, but have now invested in the canon 5d and am looking for a good quality wide angle lenses, im considering either the 12 - 24mm sigma or the 15 - 30 mm sigma, can anyone advise which out of the 2 they think is the best? im looking for as crisp as possible, my main use will be in low light situations in live music and club events and for crazy portfolio shoots.

any advice will be GREATLY RECIVED!

www.h-pinkness.com
Old 31-05-07, 12:12

Haven't a clue..sorry..but had to post as just looked at your site..WOW..impressed..
Al.
Old 31-05-07, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tee View Post
Haven't a clue..sorry..but had to post as just looked at your site..WOW..impressed..
Al.
Thank you
Old 01-06-07, 21:58

if you're wanting the sharpest crispest results, a 17mm prime will be sharper than both of these zoom lenses.
If you desparately need that wider 12mm end than the 12-24 option seems the logical choice. Which other lenses do you have for the 5D? If you have the 24-105 kit lens, than this choice would seem even more logical.
Otherwise (if you don't have the 24-105), I'd personally go for the 15-30 if you had to choose between just the two lenses.

If you're really unsure, why not take your camera and memory card into a shop and try both?....Or, go to hire from somewhere like Calumet..you might not be able to hire those specific lenses, but you could hire one that covers those wide angles...which would help you decide whether you really need or want to go as wide as 12mm wide.
P>S 12mm full frame is massively wider than 10mm on APS-C.

hope this helps?
Old 01-06-07, 22:33

Got to agree with Joe in respect of hiring as the first step. I do not know the Canon range of lenses but to equal the 10-20 that you like on APS-C then you are looking at 14/15mm in full frame. For low light situations then aperture is everything. You really need to be looking at f2.8 for that.

Don
Old 02-06-07, 07:44

To equal the 10-22 on a crop body, with the 5D you need the 16-35. Exact equivalent length. But very expensive.
Old 02-06-07, 07:45

BTW, going from memory and I could be wrong, but I think the 15-30 is quite old and not all that well regarded, where the 12-24 is well respected, and although it's closer to 13mm it must be massively wide on full frame.
Old 02-06-07, 07:59

Impressive site Pinkness.
Though I would think black background would suite your site better as pink is rather too soft for the content, but then you would lose the title's theme.

I am sorry if I also have not much experiment with the Bigmas you are interest on, but wide angle being one of my personal loved fields of photography, may be I can share some thoughts with you, in respond to your request;

The main problem I see with your need is, or rather are 2; First the full frame 5D, then your need for high quality. Well I sincerely hope your wallet is fat enough

1) Your best budgetwise bet would be L 17-40mm F:4 or even better if money no obstacle, L 16-35mm F:2.8 that gives you additional F stop. I stay with Canon's product as I have tried them, very happily indeed and don't know much about wide Bigma though have heard a lot good about them especially the 10-20mm.

2) Sigma circular 8mm fisheye F 3.5 Check this LINK if not seen the specs before.

3) Here comes what I really want to suggest to you; Enjoy your 5D and save its large sensor form dust by less lens change so instead invest on a second body. Get a XTi or if too rich, 30D that opens the door to variety of EFs lenses, then adding an extra body adds that security, should things go wrong in an important photo session like battery, memory and less likely primary camera's failure, you always have the plan "B". If you go this far, my next suggestion is Canon's 10-22mm EFs that gives you the wanted quality at an unbelievable price. This is one keeper lens with warrantied fun.

3a) Now that you have the better versatile mount of XTi, you may want to try full 180 degree fisheye at a much cheaper price; So Peleng 8mm 3.5 LINK
LINK-2
A real real fun lens specially for kind of picture you have in mind.
Few things to remember, It won't fit your 5D (Mirror hits the back of lens so non operational)(Ah those days when mirror lock up and accessory visor on flash shoe was an option, talking of Nikon's Early Fisheye LINK)
Pros: Cheap. Very sharp. Comes from same manufacturer that used to make the Ex-other-superpower's military stuff.
Cons: Manual focus (I consider it a plus under low light situations, no un-necessary hunting for focus).
Then poor control of internal reflections due to poor quality of lens coating. So you may not like it when spot lights are pointed toward the lens, and let me tell you it is very difficult to get things you don't want, out of field of this lens as it seems to capture everything around it.

4) (In same like of an additional camera body);
If budget is a limitation, you may want to consider a good Add-on-lens to get your fisheye, like Nikon's FC-E8 that goes on several coolpix point and shots and gives you a true circular fisheye view, with full AF power and also TTL flash, and all electronics a modern camera is expected to provide you. The combined cost of lens and camera should be well under $500, Cheaper than any DSLR lens alone.
Quality not as good as DSLR but still very acceptable especially for web.
LINK

5) Buy one of Old Nikon gems LINK Or LINK-2 then get a Nikon to EOS adapter with AF chips that gives you "Focus confirmation" light (To make it more electronically fancy, not a big plus otherwise as you still should focus manually) LINK
You can do the same thing with Olympus 8mm lens too but I consider Nikon's glass a lot better than oly and almost similar to Canon and not any inferior. Also both give you F 2.8 that would be very handy in low light situations that you have in mind. LINK to Olympus.

Hope this was useful to you and gives you some new ideas and alternatives to achieve what you have in mind.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 02-06-07 at 08:04.
Old 03-06-07, 09:33

Quote:
im looking for as crisp as possible,
H-Pinkness requested this in the lens.....
which pretty much rules out the horrid Peleng and add-on lens options.
Old 03-06-07, 19:22

i have a 5d and have the 17 - 40 l lens .. to be honest i have heard great things about the 17 -40 from most people but i found it a disappointment .. not sharp enough and it gave a false effect, from what i can gather the best results come from old lenses like contax,zeiss olympus etc with adapters and use as manual and stop down ... http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-m...nses/#problems ... in my honest opinion the 5d is so good that most optics struggle ... apart from really expensive l prime wide angle lenses. i imagine for your line of work critical sharpness is not as important and the need for auto focus is etc , so maybe get a 17 - 40 ...maybe i just got a dud one.