WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

How to control several cameras with one computer?

Old 29-05-09, 11:45

Default How to control several cameras with one computer?

Hi folks!
I have a really tough one for you, a problem that I have been struggeling with for quite a while... Here we go!

I am looking for a way to control four NIKON D700 cameras from one single computer. I want to be able to control shutterspeed simultaiously on all cameras. In other words - when I do an adjustment on shutterspeed on my computer, I want it to affect all cameras.

The program Camera Controller Pro 2 by NIKON is designed to control one camera from one computer. With this program you can adjust almost everything digitally adjustable on the camera via your computer. The program connects via USB or wireless via a so called WT-4 transmitter. The program and the transmitter even supports SEVERAL cameras to be connected, but then all it can handle is the output from the cameras, not the imput. In other words, all it can do is to take care of the photos taken from the different cameras, but it cannot adjust more than one camera at the time. IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN (please note this...)!

Do any of you guys know of any alternative way to solve my problem? Are there other programs to control cameras (several) via a computer? Are there other ways? I can do it via FireWire, USB or wireless, doean't matter.

The simultanious trigging of the different cameras is no problem, as I can do that easily with a seperate wired or wireless device.

All suggestions are most welcome, and I appreciate all your thoughts on this problem!

- Mattias
Old 29-05-09, 16:17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackorset View Post
I am looking for a way to control four NIKON D700 cameras from one single computer. I want to be able to control shutterspeed simultaiously on all cameras. In other words - when I do an adjustment on shutterspeed on my computer, I want it to affect all cameras.
I've no idea how to do this, but if you want to supply me 4 D700's I'd be happy to give it a go!!!
Old 30-05-09, 16:11

Hi Mattias, I don't think it can be done the way you describe. If you have 4 x D700's, they will not be all in the same place - therefore the lighting conditions will be different for each view point and therefore you will need four different sets of adjustments and so four monitors one for each camera but individually controlled.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-05-09, 22:20

It probably can be done some way although I don't have the answer for you I'm afraid. Try researching some of the security camera manufacturers and their software controllers as they operate multiple cameras, you might get lucky somewhere there?!?
Old 30-05-09, 22:26

Change to Canon!!!!! You can definately do it then........
http://www.breezesys.com/MultiCamera/index.htm
Old 09-06-09, 20:46

May I ask why you want to control speed of all cameras from a remote place, when if they are kept at P or other semi-program settings you can achieve a good result as planned before, only shooting all at the same time?

You know this is how the genius guys in Matrix first came with showing an action frozen in mid air as cine camera (Several DSLRs in circular fashion place around subject) go all around showing the action from every 360 degree angle... & did the magnificent especial effect that was unheard off before.

Not sure about Nikon but my Canon cable does give that power to shoot as many as cameras as I want by serial connection of cables between them to do the effect shown on matrix and on several other major Hollywood movies after that and is shown in good ref. image Chunshine is left for you. I am sorry for large number of Nikonphilic friends here but I have to say the same thing Chunshine said especially when you want to invest in large magnitude. You definitely need a system that has maximum expandability, capability and actually does the job for you when money is not the barrier otherwise every camera takes picture. Yes You need Canon!

(I guess Nikonphilic friends are now enough stimulated to give you some good advice so if you want to thank me, send a whispering email)

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 09-06-09 at 20:55.
Old 09-06-09, 22:13

Try this link. Why should it be different from your description - I don't know, but Nikon say they have updated Camera Control Pro and the spec includes manipulating several cameras (including the D700), is it a new version, or does it not do quite what you want.

Old 09-06-09, 22:18

Hi Mattias, you mention that Camera Control Pro cannot control multiple cameras, yet their advert on line says that it does. Admittedly they advertise it as a new version - does this anser your needs, or is does it still fall short of the mark?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...rol-Pro-2.html

Best of luck on your hunt.
Old 10-06-09, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
May I ask why you want to control speed of all cameras from a remote place...............................

(I guess Nikonphilic friends are now enough stimulated to give you some good advice so if you want to thank me, send a whispering email)
Aaah Sassan,

If this was to make me bite then now I have.

Firstly let me say I have Nikon Camera Control Pro but only ever use it to control one camera, but I do understand the adjustments that can be made to the camera settings via the computer.

We ran a thread on this subject some time ago - link
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=933

I have looked at chunshine's link with the array of 120 Canons, and my reading of that is that like Nikon Camera Control, all the settings for the individual cameras can be controlled by the pc. The key missing element here going back to the origional post is SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Yes both systems can trigger simultaniously, but I did not find anything in the link that suggests that simultanious adjustment of various camera variables like ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture and Focus point of a multiple camera setup as required by the OP.

I am not in the position to be able to try a multi camera set up, and having looked at Ver2 spec it only seems to offer support for a wider range of cameras, ie those released since Ver1. No mention of simultanous control of multiple camera variables in a single set up.

Perhaps a member owning several Canon cameras could give this software a go as it is available as a 15 day free trial, in order to establish that vital point of simultanious adjustment of camera variables on a multi camera setup. NOT simultanious triggering which we know both systems can achieve.

To add a bit of spice, and hopefully get someone to give it a try, my bet is that it DOES NOT. Quite happy to be proved wrong though.

Don
Old 10-06-09, 13:55

http://www.breezesys.com/products.htm

FOUND IT !!! look at this link folks, Breeze systems have a program for multiple Nikons now from a laptop. Is this what is wanted? Haven't looked at price as it's Windows only

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!