WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

any advice on using Monopod?

Old 23-04-07, 22:15
Chris

Default any advice on using Monopod?

I have recently bought a Takara monopod off e-bay for the vast cost of £3.98 (more available), intending to hack off the head to use with my antique steel tripod, 750gr but only 390 long.

However the mono at 350gr and 450 long is so easy to carry and has not only swift horizontal and vertical swivels but also quick release top, so I am rather struck on its potential. I have found one quite handy instruction site:

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3

But am confident that you WPF guys will be able to supply many more hints
Old 23-04-07, 22:19
Super Moderator

Chris, I was just going to point you to that site until I continued reading. It has good information on how to use the monopod in correct way.. I have use his method with great success.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 24-04-07, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
It has good information on how to use the monopod in correct way...
As most of my pics off the tripod are lower than eye level I am probably doing it all wrong.

I use mine when kneeling, sitting on a bank or rock, or at low angle getting my feet wet.

I know I do not list it in equipment used in my gallery, but thinking about it, in most of those that are not tripod jobs the monopod was used. I very rarely hand hold.

Perhaps my username should have been ' shakey '.

Don
Old 24-04-07, 12:00

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I bought a monopod last week so haven't got comfortable using it yet. It makes a good walking stick though. I'll check out the lnk that you've given.
Old 24-04-07, 12:22

From my own experience, I've found that applying pressure on the top of the camera/lens above the point where the 'pod is attached to the camera seems to make a distinct improvement, especially if you are panning.
Old 24-04-07, 21:26

Something that should be mentioned about many monopods, which I've found when supporting heavy lenses are that most ball and socket and pan and tilt heads are completely useless and make the unit more cumbersome....that is unless you really need to shoot off the horizontal.
Those correct methods also depend so much on what you're shooting and what you shoot with...tucking that pod behind the leg is great with a lightweight DSLR and std zoom, but it might be a little tricky, unstable and uncomfortable if you got an 800mm on.
I reckon there should be another couple of use the 'correct' way options for the monopod in that guide......first one is that some can make useful walking sticks! second is, they can make carrying heavy lenses suprisingly comfortable (despite a pained expression!)...way more comfortable than using the lens straps over the shoulder! (pic)
I've had that Benbo/Uniloc thing for years without hitch, sealed leg and decent single joint/extension clamp, unlike the Manfrotto one I had who's quick release clips gave up, although in fairness I think they have improved since those uni days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0181.jpg (214.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 24-04-07, 21:37

Also.....if like me you are above average height, open up the pod in the shop and check it'll be high enough to use when you're stood upright.... it makes it way easier to use if you don't plan on grovling on your knees in the dirt every time! LOL

Last edited by Joe; 25-04-07 at 12:42.
Old 24-04-07, 23:07
Chris

Thank you all for replies & comments

The Takara is even better value than I first thought as the head is just mounted onto a standard screw so can be used on top of antique tripod & mini tripod as well. It uses a universal joint with turn knob lock on horizontal and turning-lock lever on vertical, which also works as a nice hook on bag strap. I doubt it is that much use as a walking stick, but who knows?

Hopefully about to do some more serious testing in Lakes and Scotland, so if I appear to have disappeared that's where to
Old 24-04-07, 23:36

I spent some time last year walking around with the central column of my tripod as a monopod. It sort of makes an interesting walking stick, and can be used to swish amongst the herbage to see what flies out, but it didn't really suite my photography style. All to often I was releasing the camera from it so that I could get in close to an butterfly or dragonfly, and invariable the vibration of the pod dropping to the ground disturbed the insect.

I could never work out a way of quickly altering the height as the insect moved up or down a stem.