WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Microsoft Vista

Old 27-06-07, 07:26

Default Microsoft Vista

Now Microsoft Vista has been released for some time is anyone using it and if so what are your opinions.

Is it really as unstable as rumours suggest?
Old 27-06-07, 07:29

My father has purchased a new PC with Vista already installed and is having lots of fun. His ADSL modem (Thompson Speedtouch 300) provided by his ISP continuously fails to be recognised even though I have found and installed Vista drivers.

That frustrated he has asked me to install XP on the new machine to 'get his computer back'

Apart from Internet connection problems Vista seems alright albeit an update to XP.
Old 27-06-07, 17:22

The PC I just bought recently came pre-installed with Vista. I have to say, I've not had any show stoppers. It all just worked, no hassle. Had a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to get around and do things, but no technical issues as such. The drivers for my Gfx card have a minor bug in that the cooling fan runs at a constant 40% speed, causing a constant whine, but it's not a major issue.

I've had to make sure I've updated applications such as Nero, to the latest version, these accessory type apps are invariably a free update, and I've had to install a variety of "fix" patches. As long as you do your reasearch, find out the problems with the applications you use, find out the fixes - everyone else has been there, done that, you shouldn't fall into the trap - and apply the fix every one else has learned that worked, then your transition should be relatively painless.

Networking old and new PCs together was a breeze with Vista, it just worked, no hassle at all, even got the priter networked without any issues.

Duncan
Old 05-07-07, 16:04

If its a USB device i would bin it they use about 80% of your CPU power and this is not good, get a Wired Router i'm not into Wireless, the Netgear DG834 is very good for the price.

Double Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network.

Link for more info.
Netgear

Jim

Australian Bug Life
http://www.lifeunseen.com/

Jim
Old 05-07-07, 18:03

Well I got my fathers PC back by installing XP, all happy now.
Old 06-07-07, 10:40

Mega mega mega mega mega slow. Clearly worse performance than the unlovely ME had, worst new Windows version since 3.0. Avoid at all costs.
Old 09-07-07, 03:07

Thats why when i got my laptop replaced i was a big pain in the rear to get a laptop with XP not with vista. And so i could run Capute NX as i seem to remember reading somewhere it was not compatible.
Old 21-10-07, 12:36

i wouldnt even bother with vista untill service pack 1 is out, as it stands it is very slow with very annoying bugs on it, tbh feels like the xp launch all over again
Old 21-10-07, 20:04

I work in IT and have been running a vista HD in my laptop (along with a XP one used for work) since day one. As I build, install, support, train, develop etc, etc, I keep getting asked my view on Vista.

There are some things it does well, but it is very hungry for resources and even though I have a decent spec laptop with 2Gb Ram, it will not crop images in CS3, or do other image manipulation tasks. It is crap with USB devices, continually asking for device drivers.

Would I recommend it? NO

I use my XP disk or home PC with XP on if I have to do any 'real' work.

My New Website
Old 21-10-07, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb View Post
with 2Gb Ram, it will not crop images in CS3, or do other image manipulation tasks.
Vista and photoshop have some major hostile issues. It seems they are still looking eye to eye and no one has blinked yet. So wonder which one is going to come with a functional remedy. Till then, photogrph users of PS, void vista if you don't know how to run double operating system as Derek is wisely doing from day one.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN