WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Microsoft Vista

Old 21-10-07, 20:27

There are two versions of vista in the shops, Home Vista Standard and Home Vista Premium. I use the premium and have had neither problems with USB devices nor any network problems. I've had some problems with installing Adobe Photo Elements 5.0 and have had to upgrade to version 6.0. Vista Premium is a little slower than XP because of all the security aspects but you can manually shut them down and then your computer will work every bit as good with VP as it did with XP. Rob
Old 21-10-07, 22:28

I've been using Vista Ultimate on my main PC since April, works perfect with Lightroom & CS2.

I had one problem, that being that my Linksys wireless router would take anything up to 45min to connect, replacing this with a newer model solved the problem (no driver updates where available from Linksys).

I find Lightroom to be rather sluggish on my XP-Pro PC, but it's super quick on the Vista machine.
Old 22-10-07, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
I've been using Vista Ultimate on my main PC since April, works perfect with Lightroom & CS2.

I had one problem, that being that my Linksys wireless router would take anything up to 45min to connect, replacing this with a newer model solved the problem (no driver updates where available from Linksys).

I find Lightroom to be rather sluggish on my XP-Pro PC, but it's super quick on the Vista machine.

How much RAM is on the Vista machine compared to the XP one, what CPU does the Vista machine have installed compared to the XP one. How big is the hard drive, what graphics card etc, etc. I've yet to see any Vista machine run anything faster than XP with the same components installed!

nirofo.
Old 22-10-07, 00:22

Not only I am fully agree with nirofo but also would claim that, the power (RAM) hunger vista, will actually run PS slower under same exact soft and hardware criteria.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 22-10-07, 11:41

I find little or no difference between the two systems when running CS2, but a major difference with Lightroom which was very sluggish on XP, especially when sending an image from Lightroom to CS.

There is obviously a difference in specs of the two PCs as I only built the Vista pc late March, with the XP pc being approx 3 years old.

XP. Athlon 2400 + 2gb ram. h/drive 2 x 300Gb + 2 x 300gb Sata drives Graphics card Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO 256MB GDDR3 VGA TVO DVI-I AGP Graphics Card.

Vista. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 + (2.5GHz) Socket AM2 (2x512KB) Cache. XFX GeForce 6200 PCI Express graphics card. The 4 h/drives from the XP pc.
Memory 4 x 1 gb. I realise that the 32 bit operating system does not recognise 4 gb, but I find that the pc runs far better with 4gb than either 2 x 1gb (dual configuration) or 3 gb