WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

American Nikon

Old 16-11-06, 18:31

Default American Nikon

One of my friends is going to the states this weekend. I was wondering about the warranty issue if he brought me back a Nikon D80, Will I have the usual 12 months guarantee? And if so, if I get a problem with the cam do I just take it to a Nikon dealer here? I've worked out I can save about £100.00. (Is it worth my while) If things go wrong with the cam?
Thanks

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 16-11-06, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
One of my friends is going to the states this weekend. I was wondering about the warranty issue if he brought me back a Nikon D80, Will I have the usual 12 months guarantee? And if so, if I get a problem with the cam do I just take it to a Nikon dealer here? I've worked out I can save about £100.00. (Is it worth my while) If things go wrong with the cam?
Thanks
In USA, the cameras that come specific for sale in USA are more expensive than the so called "Gray market stuff" that are same product, designed to be sold anywhere in the world but USA and these come with world wide warranty policies, usually 10-15 percent cheaper than US versions so you actually can get more better deal.
No harm to make a on line search. Look to this link:

)))) L I N K (((((((

Without the lens the price should start just north of US$750.
I think it is cheaper than UK but I could be wrong. I have seen duty free shop prices of several countries even more expensive that usual store in USA.
BTW if you are buying form one of these on line site, be very jarful to check the "Rating" of the shop, and number of people who have voted. You wont go wrong with well reputable sellers such as B&H, buydig, Camerabeach. All experienced by me personally (Last two are actually one seller but surprisingly at times with different prices). If your friend in NY or NJ he might be able to pickup the product himself as most cheap large seller shops are there.
So the magic word for you is Gray Market item.
Have fun.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 16-11-06, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
I've worked out I can save about £100.00. (Is it worth my while) If things go wrong with the cam?
Thanks
~200$ = %20
Definitely works for me but you may get better local advise.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 16-11-06, 19:25

Lello,

I have not bought from abroad but it may well be worth checking if you have to pay duty on the import. If so that will eat into the possible saving. I am also not sure that you will have warranty.

I noticed a while back while cruising e-bay that at the bottom of a Hong Kong sellers page was that they would honour warranty if returned to them and fault was found to be a manufacturing defect. That suggests Nikon UK will not touch it if there is a problem.

All Nikon has a worldwide warranty but that probably applies if you have a problem while travelling abroad with a camera bought through authorised dealer.

I will leave this for the experts with first hand experience.

Don
Old 16-11-06, 20:57

Lello,

Nikon Support pages on Grey market are worth a look.

Europe http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...i=&p_topview=1

USA http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

Don
Old 16-11-06, 21:54

Thanks for the quick response, I think I might have left it to late to make a decision one way or the other, My friend fly's out first thing Saturday, And I think I would have liked a couple more days to look into the Grey market area before making a decision. (Thanks for the link Don, I think your right about the worldwide warranty.) Sassan, My friend is going to NY and I was going to give him cash to spend in a Camera store for me, But it's all happened to quick. He knows less about Camera's than me, And I don't know whether he would know a bargain if it was staring him in the face.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos