WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Driver Canon EOS Rebel XTi / 400D for Win 98

Old 12-02-07, 01:04

Question Driver Canon EOS Rebel XTi / 400D for Win 98

Hello forum,

I have a question. I bought the Eos Rebel XTi on wednesday. The computer I use has the Win 98 system. I know, it is old... But it is not my computer, so I can't change the system. Today I tried to transfer the files from the camera (small JPEG Files) to the computer. The problem is, that there is only a driver for Win 98SE on the disk, so the Camera transfers the files to the Windows Image program. I can only select one file at time, and I can only save this file as Bitmap. And thats ridiculous. I only want to transfer the JPEG files to my PC, without watching them at this image-program. Maybe this is too much? Or would a card-reader be a solution?

Does anybody know, how to do this? Is there another driver? The problem is, that I can't see the camera as an USB-device, so that I could transfer the files the files...

Thank you very much for your help,

best

Anja
Old 12-02-07, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja59 View Post
I know, it is old...
Anja
Good to mentioned that. Do you know how old though? You know that each human life year in computer calender is equal to 25 years. So calculate the human counterpart age of this PC for yourself.
Having said that, if you must use this pc, then you need to give us some more info. Is this Windows 98 that is the OS or is it Win-98 SE (Second edition)? How much of Free Hard Drive space is available? what is the driver's size and ram on the system. What is the video card and its ram?

Just to give a broad idea, Win 98 is not able to recognize USB port. This is rectified by SE version. The down load to SE was available for free on MS site but as it is years that they do not support 98 anymore, I don't think you can find it there though other site surely have it, google it.

To try attaching your XTi to 98 might not be a good thought. Instead one thing that is sure to work is to fine an old CF reader that has Win 98 driver and then install and attach it, then transfer your memory card to it for downloading images and formating CF. I guess this is your best bet. BTW you need XP, if not vista, no mater what. Talk to places that have rapid turnover on PCs such as schools or institutes in neighborhood and find out how you can get one of the old ones (At discount price or whatever) when they upgrade or check ads at dorms, newspaper etc. Then donate that PC to where you use it, for your own benefit.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 12-02-07 at 02:43.
Old 12-02-07, 10:13

A compact flash reader is definitely the best way around this. It will also transfer file much quicker than your camera. CF readers are very cheap and readily available.
Old 12-02-07, 10:48

The original version of Windows 98 does not support USB, you need 98SE to be able to connect USB devices. The fact that you have managed to view files, albeit one at a time using Windows Imaging, implies that you have 98SE. If you didn't have SE, you wouldn't have even got this far.

With the camera connected, you will probably find that you have another drive (such as, for example F shown in "My Computer". This new drive, which is not present without having the camera tethered, will be the drive you need to access to get the files off the card. By clicking on this drive, you should be able to select all the files on the card (in whichever folder the camera has put them) and move them to your normal hard drive location. Once they are there, it should be possible to view them using the picture file browser software that came with your camera.

As Stephen has said, a stand-alone card reader is the way to go, they are very cheap, and well worth the money.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 12-02-07, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
The original version of Windows 98 does not support USB, you need 98SE to be able to connect USB devices. The fact that you have managed to view files, albeit one at a time using Windows Imaging, implies that you have 98SE. If you didn't have SE, you wouldn't have even got this far.

With the camera connected, you will probably find that you have another drive (such as, for example F) shown in "My Computer". This new drive, which is not present without having the camera tethered, will be the drive you need to access to get the files off the card. By clicking on this drive, you should be able to select all the files on the card (in whichever folder the camera has put them) and move them to your normal hard drive location. Once they are there, it should be possible to view them using the picture file browser software that came with your camera.

As Stephen has said, a stand-alone card reader is the way to go, they are very cheap, and well worth the money.

Regards,

Duncan
Thank you all for you help. I think, I'll buy a card reader, that, hopefully, is accepted by my PC...
I don't think I have Win 98SE, when I boot an shut down the PC it only sais Windows 98...

I was looking for the drive F (or any other besides A, C and R) but I could not find anything in "My Computer"... I have no idea what he does to read the files from the card. Once I attach the camera to the PC, it asks, what program should recive the files. The Canon software cannot recive them (whyever, it says, "Camera Window cannot detect the camera" ), so the Windows image program is the only available programm that works. What I don't understand: If the computer does not support USB, how can it read the data on the camera, that is attaches with a USB-Cable??

But it doesn't matter, I will buy a CF-Cardreader today. I was looking for one some days ago, but the associate in the shop said, that CF is not up to date and it could be hard to find one... I think the Rebel XTi is on the market since September 2006, okay, it's not up to date... That's Canada...

Thank you very much for all your help

Anja

P.S.: @ sassan: I found files from 2000 on the drive C; so the Computer must be at least 7 PC years old, that means he is 175 human years old...
Old 12-02-07, 13:27

Quote:
I don't think I have Win 98SE, when I boot an shut down the PC it only says Windows 98...
It will do, SE stands for Second Edition, it's till 98 with a few add-ons.

Quote:
What I don't understand: If the computer does not support USB, how can it read the data on the camera, that is attaches with a USB-Cable??
This proves conclusively that your PC supports USB. It's a long time since I used 98, hopefully someone else will be able to advise on how to drag the files off the camera as a block, rather than one by one.

Quote:
I was looking for one some days ago, but the associate in the shop said, that CF is not up to date and it could be hard to find one...... That's Canada...
That's not Canada, that's just plain rubbish. CF card readers should be readily available from a lot of shops. If the place you tried hasn't got them, go somewhere else.

Edit: A quick bit of research shows that they can be bought for typically <$20(CDN), for example:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio....asp?CatId=942

Duncan
Old 13-02-07, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
It will do, SE stands for Second Edition, it's till 98 with a few add-ons.

This proves conclusively that your PC supports USB. It's a long time since I used 98, hopefully someone else will be able to advise on how to drag the files off the camera as a block, rather than one by one.

That's not Canada, that's just plain rubbish. CF card readers should be readily available from a lot of shops. If the place you tried hasn't got them, go somewhere else.

Edit: A quick bit of research shows that they can be bought for typically <$20(CDN), for example:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio....asp?CatId=942

Duncan
Thanks again for your help.
I had a closer look to the OS on this PC, and I figured out that we have Win 98SE. That explains, why he can read the data from the camera. But I still have the problem that he doesn't accept the camera as an USB-drive (that is what I want to skip the step with loading the data into the image pogramm). And I'm worried, that he also doesnt accept the card reader as an USB-drive. Does anybody have experience in that??? The problem is, that I can only copy one picture at the time, than he closes the Window where I can select the pictures and I have to open the whole programm again...

For certain the associate in the shop didn't have an idea. Thanks for the link...

Best regards from Canada

Anja
Old 13-02-07, 03:42

Anja; Older system like 98SE were made at the time that USB was just to be born. For your PC to recognize a device, apart from working device being in correct physical contact to PC, it (PC) has to have the knowledge to understand what that device is. This is called driver. Every device has its specific driver for specific OS, that is not interchangeable. Now many new device manufacturer, assuming that their customers are not in use of older OS, won't go to trouble of writing driver for every death or intensive care unit residing OS (98 included here). For eg Canon assumes a consumer who uses win 95 or 98, will still buy their film products and won't go digital....

If you are interested (And don't expect spoon feeding) you need to google your problem or make searches in Microsoft and canon sites. Here is a link to start:

LINK USB problems in Win98

As for checking what version of windows you posses, it is very easy; On XP in the run box or its equivalent on older OS such as 98, the DOS commend box (That black board appearing icon that I think was in "Control panel" or in accessories, just type " WINVER " this is not case sensitive. On hitting enter you have all info needed.

Next Don't even get to trouble of running Canon's programs under 98, instead please just listen to me and buy that CF card reader. The reason the seller told you, you can't find it, is because the guy was stupid enough to think you mean only the older single CF that are probably absolute by now. All you need is "Memory Card Reader" or what now a days is called "All in One reader" that support Win98 (You must ascertain this by reading the box of this device for compatible softwares). If you are in Canada, you should have no problem buying goods from US, so here is one like that sells one such device that virtually reads any kind of camera memory you and your friends might own just for under $10:

LINK

Scroll down to Additional information and see that under PC requirements, it is 98se compatible.

Now after first loading the driver that comes on a CD along with this reader, You elevate your PC's knowledge (Needed driver) then when connecting the reader to USB port, you will see at least 4 many be more drives with E F G H etc designation. It is peace of cake to drag and drop the images form say drive F (Ducan's favorite) to the C: you hard drive. Please just do it with out much farther questioning unless down the line you have some Qs. But for about $10 this is your best option.

Now if you truly need my advise, Win98 is RIP. Don't waste you time much. You no mater what, need your own new PC and if you can afford to have XTi, you must be able to afford an entry level PC. In fact I just recently got across a deal on new Dell PC with Vista home edition and a lot of blow and whistles for $399. A better deal in Laptop was for $599 (You don't need monitor, everything is compact and by its wireless receiver there is 100 percent chance of finding a free hot spot to go on line (BTW I don't mean your insecure neighbors net work, no no, me no bad advise...I mean you can take it to local coffee shop, restaurant airport likewise that provide free wireless internet, should you need it, if the local connections are not a choice as for eg yahoo's fast DSL or cable or verizon or ATT are about only 14$ a month...). If you get to the point that want to avoid headach and need a new Vista operating rocket speed PC, PM me for links of hot deals as I encounter them often but for best deal you must be willing to wait and then once deal available, act fast.

Cheers and hope this helped.
BTW the other rule of thumb about computer age I forgot, is that some pcs are female (Just like French language that everything has feminine or masculine feature, If you are from close to Quebec you know this better than me) and as a universal mater of obligation, they simply refrain to accept new numbers for age but well you know when you checking compatibility, speed etc, just like wrinkles, we don't get to details etc, they are not really what they claim...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 18-02-07, 01:17

Hi Sassan,

my PC is male... Untill a certain age they get better, the older they are... Today I bought a CF-Card-reader for 3.30Can$ incl. tax. Thats fair... It was a sore closing sale. And it works... So I don't have to worry any longer... Thank you so much fo all your help.

When we go back home in 1 1/2 years, we will have a new PC, but for the time here this one works. It was the decision, either a new PC or the XTi... And because of the price of the film material and processing here (processing costs 30$ incl. prints and scans in a good lab), we decided to buy the camera...

Thanks again and have a good evening/night/morning...

Anja