WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Slowing internet speed down

Old 02-03-07, 20:11
Super Moderator

Default Slowing internet speed down

Help needed. Is there anyway to slow down my internet speed slightly. My broadband area connection speed was turned up a while ago and I was offered a free upgrade, I decided last week to do it, now I am being kicked off every few minutes as the modem can't cope with the new speed, can I turn the speed down.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 02-03-07, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
the modem can't cope with the new speed
How did you come with this conclusion? In other words why do you think modem is at fault?

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 02-03-07, 20:57
Super Moderator

sassan, I have only just got back online. the speed of the pages are very fast and the fault has only happened since getting the notification this morning that they had done the upgrade.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 02-03-07, 22:36

Hi,

I'm guessing you have switched to ADSLMAX (upto 8 meg) - if this is the case the system will eventually find it's own level - it monitors your connection status & automatically lowers it until the line remains stable, takes 7-10 days I think. Unfortunately until then you have to live with the disconnections

simon

North Wales photographs - Snowdonia & Anglesey
Old 02-03-07, 22:49
Super Moderator

Simon. I was an original freeserve which became wannadoo and now orange at 1meg and now had a free upgrade to 8meg, I have downloaded a modem optimizer for the modem which I was told to do on their website and it is still doing cutting off. If I refresh the page or leave it a mo it just cuts off then I have to manually reload it won't do it automatically even though its set. I do hope it settles soon it getting me annoyed I am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered.

Old 03-03-07, 02:27

Your download speed is only as fast as your broadband connection will allow, which is by far less than the modems top speed, most recent broadband modems are more than capable of handling anything available in the UK at present!! I would say your problem is more to do with available bandwidth, if there are too many users the available speed will be reduced, (divided by the number online at one go) and may be so low at times that your connection is dropped! It could be your telephone line is not capable of carrying the extra speed, or maybe you are too far away from the nearest exchange, there are loads of variables that can effect your download speed. Your best bet is to complain to BT or whoever your line is rented from, also complain to Wanadoo or whatever they call themselves now, tell them your connection is not fit for purpose and you are thinking of going with Sky or somebody elase if they don't do something about it.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 03-03-07 at 02:36.
Old 03-03-07, 05:00

As Simon says, when you sign up for ADSLMAX it takes around 10 days for BT to find the best speed for your connection. They drop the speed until your line is stable.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 03-03-07, 09:44

8meg is definitely ADSLMAX in which case over the next 7/10 days your line will slowly stabilise. I actually found that my connection settled back at the original 1meg speed which I was receiving before the upgrade !!

As mentioned already not everyones line can cope with the higher speeds that ADSLMAX can provide. I also replaced my modem with a Netgear router which copes better than most modems.

This is a problem affecting many people who have been upgraded. For more info here's a really useful site:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

North Wales photographs - Snowdonia & Anglesey
Old 03-03-07, 09:54
Super Moderator

Thanks simon I do have a d-link adsl2+ wireless router which I haven't had much luck in connecting properly, it was was very unstable at the slower speeds. I will have a go at using it again.

Old 30-01-08, 15:39

When they have upgraded the system you surely have to get another new modem for it. I think you should call your internet provider so they could know that your are being kick off often beacause of the speed so they can provide you better modem of they can control the speed of there system .