WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Which tripod to go for ?

Old 24-04-09, 10:06

Default Which tripod to go for ?

Hi All,

I've been looking to get a new tripod to help with macro shots currently i own the velbon 640, but im after a tripod the offers extreme angles needed for this kind on work

This is my current tripod

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1000295

The 2 i have looked at are the ones below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200332560983

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110351812175

Has anybody used one of these? and can they be recommended or even recommend a tripod
Old 24-04-09, 11:19

Manfrotto 055 series tripods are very good - stable, v flexible in terms of leg angles, easily rotatable centre column. I have 2 - an old aluminium 3 section which has given many years of good service, and a carbon fibre 4 section which I bought a few months ago for longer trips when I need a lighter more compact tripod.
They can be set at ground level with the legs completely splayed out and the centre column horizontal, or the legs can be set at different angles independently.
I have used several heads on these legs, but for macro, I find a geared head and a focussing rail gives the most accurate control of framing and focal plane. (And dont forget to use a cable release and mirror lock-up if you can - at 1:1 magnification even slight vibrations can be a problem)

Last edited by gordon g; 24-04-09 at 20:09.
Old 24-04-09, 14:42

Another vote for the Manfrotto 055 series, such as this one
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1019760

You could reuse the head off your velbon if you buy a thread adaptor (1/4" to 3/8" I think?)
Old 24-04-09, 17:08
Super Moderator

I'd agree with the others that the Manfrotto 055 series are very good, especially the Pro version which allows easy low level shooting. The 190 series is also good, just a bit smaller (and thus not quite so stable). I'd also recommend having a look at the better Velbon models, the 535/635 CF tripods are outstanding - very stable yet very light weight. I have tested a couple of the Giottos tripods, they're fine but not up to the standard of the Manfrottos or the Velbons.
Old 24-04-09, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
The 190 series is also good, just a bit smaller (and thus not quite so stable). I'd also recommend having a look at the better Velbon models, the 535/635 CF tripods are outstanding - very stable yet very light weight.
I had a Velbon CF530 which I found a bit too light for its own good, wobbled badly in a stiff breeze. You HAD to hang a bag off the bottom hook, otherwise it was useless outdoors. The CF63x series seem to be much superior than the 53x series, albeit with a bit more weight to carry around.

Never understood the good reputation the Manfrotto 190 series has, I found it more wobbly than the Velbon CF530 and more expensive with it.

Duncan
Old 25-04-09, 12:11

Another vote for the Manfrotto 055 - I have the Magfibre version with an Achratec GV2 head, superb for getting low down especially after putting the centre column in the horizontal.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 27-04-09, 05:55

Is there a need for another vote on Mani 055?
For macro you need to get very close to subject as need may be so even if this is not what you want to get, look at the picture of link Duncan left you and make sure you get a tripod with same low level, then vertical looking down capability.
There are other similar ones but Mani is one well established name.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN