WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Hot deal, may be the cheapest DSLR.

Old 11-02-07, 06:57

Exclamation Hot deal, may be the cheapest DSLR.

Just encountered this unbelievable deal. A DSLR with a Schnider 18-55mm lens for US$ 339.99 IF you don't believe me just check it for yourself:
Samsung Digimax GX-1S

- - - L I N K - - -

Not in need of entry body, but couldn't pass the deal. Just put an order. Free shipping 7-9 days, plus 26$ Tax, came to 365. Well may put it up on ebay later or pass it to junior or senior or keep my self happy by converting it to IR. I am sure will make someone very happy. Cheapest on ebay is priced north of 450.
Seems the bayount is Pentex so attention of Mr and Mrs Y. if in need of reserve second body. Well don't take any word from me as I have no idea about the camera only know that Samsung is very reputable name in TV and monitors.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 11-02-07, 11:17

Hi Sassan,

The GX-1S is essentially a re-badged Pentax *ist DL. It's a nice entry level camera. Small, light, easy to live with ergonomics, takes AA batteries, takes a decent picture too. The AF speed is nothing to write home about so if you do fast moving sports photography it's not for you, but otherwise I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome to the dark side.
Old 11-02-07, 18:35

Deal is dead now. The sale is over. Priced at 479 $ now.

Duncan I alway was in dark side, only the glasses were cheese white with a red elastic band at the top

My mean selfego is telling me to keep it. Now thinking of some Ashai Pentax glasses. How is the SMC FA 70-200?
Duncan do you have any experience with 42 mm to PK mount adapter to keep old Ashai Takumar glasses shine? Any infinity problem? (I suspect none form what I have read). Looking into 50mm F2 or 1.7 at dirt cheap prices online.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 11-02-07, 19:07

Hi,

I have no experience of the FA 70-200 so cannot answer that one. Nor do I have experience of the 42mm to PK adaptor, but from what I've read, it's worth buying the genuine Pentax item, some of the pattern parts can be tricky to fit and remove by all accounts. I have not heard of any problems with focus at infinity. I wouldn't bother with trying to use the old M42 mount items, the PK bayonet fit manual lenses are very cheap and save the hassle of the adaptor. I'd make sure any old lenses you buy are SMC coated, a lot of the old M42 Takumar items aren't.

The 50mm f/2 is, very unfairly, looked down on compared to the f/1.7 and f/1.4 fifties. The f/2 can often be picked up for stupidly low cash and the differences between the f/2 and faster lenses really aren't that big. If you can't find a 50mm f/2 on its own, they can usually be picked up for the same cost as "lens only" when purchased attached to an old Pentax body.

You are limited to center weighted metering when using the manual lenses, and you have to flick a lever (the depth of field preview switch) to get it to take a meter reading before pressing the button, but it's all very simple.

Duncan