WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The Champagne shot

Old 24-12-06, 20:29

Good luck with the compitition, it would have to be some shot to beet yours.
Old 26-12-06, 05:07

I have a suggestion that will surely work.
As a bonus, no Champagne or lemonade is waisted either.

1) Using a cotton tread soaked in oil or alcohol, then placed in a coin size circle fashion on the bottom of champagne bottle. Set the tread on fire, thenin a few second, dip the bottle into a ice water. The circle section will be broken clearly (Watch your finger no onward on the sharp parts).
2) Secure a water hose to the bottom of bottle, with the hose attached to the water pipe.
3) Set up the bottle so that the it is placed over the table with hole through which the hose is connected.
4) Turn your fountain on fully and take the pictures.
5) Pay good attention to fine prints and disclaimer: All the wet stuff, mess, cut and burned stuff are not my responsibilities. Do it at your own risk. You may die following these instruction, well anyway we all will die one day....

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 26-12-06, 12:37

Not a bad try Sassan, But will the bottle break at the point you want or will it shatter in to thousands and thousands pieces only for you to spend a month or so re-gluing together?

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 26-12-06, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
I have a suggestion that will surely work.
As a bonus, no Champagne or lemonade is waisted either.

1) Using a cotton tread soaked in oil or alcohol, then placed in a coin size circle fashion on the bottom of champagne bottle. Set the tread on fire, thenin a few second, dip the bottle into a ice water. The circle section will be broken clearly (Watch your finger no onward on the sharp parts).
2) Secure a water hose to the bottom of bottle, with the hose attached to the water pipe.
3) Set up the bottle so that the it is placed over the table with hole through which the hose is connected.
4) Turn your fountain on fully and take the pictures.
5) Pay good attention to fine prints and disclaimer: All the wet stuff, mess, cut and burned stuff are not my responsibilities. Do it at your own risk. You may die following these instruction, well anyway we all will die one day....
I fully understand how the bottle is broken but champagne bottles are made using very thick glass particularly at the bottom. I suppose a hole could be put in the bottom of a champagne bottle using a drill bit suitable for ceramics and quite a lot of patience.
Old 26-12-06, 12:59

Well done Stephen you've got it , As I said I will post the the method in the next couple of days. I have got a stinking cold at the moment and I don't even have the energy to play with the D70. Not taken a a day off work sick in 2 years as soon as I'm off work and relax, I go down this this stinker

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 26-12-06, 13:57

Talk about bad luck Lello. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

I notice no mention or guess's from Sassan or Foxy as to the flow of the lemonade yet. That was what really attracted my attention to the shot in the first place, and for me is the clever bit.

Don
Old 26-12-06, 14:46

OK, I had the bottom of the bottle at the back drilled about 2cm up,the hole was about 10mm diameter, (A Friend did this for me) I then went to homebase and bought some plastic tubing (car windscreen washer pipe) which I was going to poke into the hole bring it up through the neck wrap some tape round the pipe the draw it back so the tape acted as the seal, as it happens the pipe was a tight fit into the hole and it sealed itself because it was so tight in the hole, I then attached the rubber hose from a bicycle pump to the plastic hose, again very lucky here, the rubber hose just threaded itself onto the plastic pipe. I then did some experimenting in the kitchen sink with water, I found if I filled the bottle to the top it only needed one pump to force water out of the neck and got lots of different types of flow depending if it was a quick pump or a slow gradual pump. I then found that if I hollowed out the cork I could get some more lift rather than the cork just falling over as soon as the water came out. As you know I then used lemonade instead of water to try and get some froth to make it look like champagne. Again as you know my intention was to use burst mode outside on the patio, but because of the weather I had to move inside in to the bathroom, The bottle was sitting in the sink on top of a box to get some hight and all I could find for backdrop was my daughters (Liela) sheets, (Tina was out shopping at the time) so I had time to sneak into the airing cupboard to borrow the sheets. I then had to place the pump into my belly and pumped with one hand as I took the photo with wire remote, I spent more time on trying to get the lighting right (still not happy with that) than taking the shots, as the sheet got soaked every time I took the shot the finish shot was the first one with the second sheet. I will post here some photos of the first attempt with water. So Don I was not magic after all, Well done to Stephen (with help from Sassan) for guessing about the hole.

Lelsphotos
Old 26-12-06, 14:57

Lello,

The fact that you have to explain, as it was not at all obvious, means my comment on your gallery pic " This image earns you a first class entry to the magic circle." still stands.

Don
Old 26-12-06, 15:02

Thanks Don
I can't find the original water shots (I think I binned them) I have some more photos I took on the day but I can't get the photo's down to the required size to post here Help!

Lelsphotos
Old 26-12-06, 15:04

For anyone wanting to emulate this extremely good photo by Lello.

Making an hole in the bottle is very easy. A short piece of metal tube (I always preferred 1/4" copper tube) place this in a drill, then use carborundum paste and grind the hole into the bottle.

This method will enable you to "cut" an hole into glass and ceramics. I have in the past cut holes into light bulbs.

Harry