WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Is photography a hobby or an obsession?

Old 05-10-07, 10:46
Chris

Default Is photography a hobby or an obsession?

Having taken up photography with a Nikon E4500 (had to go in a corner of my workcase 50x100x75) I have now got to entry level DSLR with 1 decent lens and still clinging on to 6 year old powerbook & printer, and, most of the time determined that is as far it goes.

Have been popping along to Newent Camera Club and rather startled by the quality of what went up on the wall from what seemed to be a roomful of deaf old (even compared to me) bumblers. Got HC on photo quality in 1st comp, but "too much ink on the prints and too abysmal mounting to be placed higher".

So am I clinging to a ledge halfway down the cliff and likely to fall for a 40D, 2 more lenses, a new computer, modern tripod, decently lit studio, cutting table.....please do not send suggestions for ommitted items.....
Old 05-10-07, 10:47

for me its certainly in between them two.
Old 05-10-07, 11:18

Well Chris, I think it's obvious to me & most others that you've fallen 'hook line & sinker' for this photography lark; admit it, you love it. Your enthusiasm speaks for itself.
Blimey; one things for certain, we're all a long time dead!.. Don't feel guilty or weak that you've got this bug / obsession..go with it..if you've got the cash then make a splash..!!..enjoy yourself lad...don't hesitate any longer..go, go, go....buy, buy, buy....
Regards,
Al.
Old 05-10-07, 11:27

Mmm - well, buying and selling cameras and lenses is my only vice [the only one that costs any amount of money anyway!]. The obsession really comes with knowing I'm bound to see something unusual or good to photograph if I set out on my morning dog walk without a camera - and if I don;t add a long lens it will be too far away to capture. The money thing is the main problem for most of us I suppose - there's always a new camera or better/wider/longer lens out there! So, wanting the most up to date, pretty heavy duty/feature filled camera with the lenses I wanted at a good price second hand I got a 40D [regretfully selling all my Olympus gear - lovely lenses but to get the length I wanted in a 'good' lens it means spending over £3000]. Is this enough to satisfy my obsession? Who knows - I'd have rather gone Fuji [still a bit slow for birding I believe] or Nikon but the 40D was the right price and the lenses at really good prices. Must take lots of photos during the winter to make my mind up!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 05-10-07, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Got HC on photo quality in 1st comp, but "too much ink on the prints and too abysmal mounting to be placed higher".

So am I clinging to a ledge halfway down the cliff and likely to fall for a 40D, 2 more lenses, a new computer, modern tripod, decently lit studio, cutting table.....please do not send suggestions for ommitted items.....
Sounds like you did well. As you got HC on photo quality, it also sounds like you'd get more mileage out of improving your printing and mounting skills before splashing out on "gear". Once the competition judges have said it's your camera that's letting you down, then it's maybe time to start considering lenses etc. In the mean time, take on board the advice and enjoy your photography - you clearly do.

D.
Old 05-10-07, 12:38

Well done with the HC. For what it's worth, I'd keep the 350D for now and get WA lens (ask Al Tee how he rates Jamie's Sigma 10-20!) and new computer.
Old 05-10-07, 12:55

I started out with the nikon 4500 too, and now have an entry level dslr. I daren't go along to my local photo club, I know where that will lead and I simply don't have the cash at the moment to support that kind of obsession (says she whose willpower crumbled regarding Greenbunion's 80-400 lens ...). My other constraint is time. Maybe when I'm retired I'll let loose properly!
Old 05-10-07, 13:24

"My other constraint is time. Maybe when I'm retired I'll let loose properly!"
Time: probably the most important thing a photographer can have - after patience.
Old 05-10-07, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Once the competition judges have said it's your camera that's letting you down, then it's maybe time to start considering lenses etc.
Like computers and HiFi I think there is too much talk about equipment. Each setup has its own qualities and you should work to maximize those.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/lomo/
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=lomo&m=text

There is an excellent article on this here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...-roaldi-w.html
Old 05-10-07, 17:42

It's a strange one for me, because I do sporting event photography, for which I earn money from.

But I'm doing fun and landscapes in my spare time and enjoying it so much more, I spend all my time wanting to improve this aspect of my photography and yes, it is becoming something of an obsession with me.

My New Website