WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Virus checker stopping unothorised Visa up-load

Old 08-02-07, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
I'm afraid a new install would need you to reinstall all your software as new, windows will not associate with any previous software installs. You need to do a complete format to be sure you removed everything before re-installing Windows XP. However, if you have more than 1 hard drive in your computer, (not separate partitions on the same drive), then you can locate all your personal files and photo's etc on the spare drive. Make sure you backup your e-mail cache also, you can sift through these later without accessing them.

Don't chance a repair, you'll never be sure you totally cleared the trojan / malware / spyware / virus etc.

nirofo.
I would strongly second this course of action. It's a lot of faff I know, but it's the only real safe way to deal with this sort of thing.

I've been a victim of internet credit card fraud. I got a taxi in Malmo, Sweden, costing 40,000 SKr, apparently, though I've never been to Sweden, and that's one heck of an expensive taxi even by Scandinavian standards. I got the money back from the credit card company, but it was more faff than rebuilding a HDD.

I strongly recommend a hardware firewall too. They come built into most network routers. Even if you don't have a network, it's worth getting one just for the firewall capability. Wired routers are dirt cheap and more secure than wireless. Haven't had any aggro since getting mine.

Duncan.
Old 08-02-07, 18:59

The site is googles antiphishing thingy. It checks the site that you are about to visit against a list of known phishing sites. I guess that your antivirus software is seeing the list and things its a phishing attempt

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=505396
Old 08-02-07, 19:16

Send your screen grab to your anti-virus support people and ask them about it, they'll be able to tell you what to do.
Old 08-02-07, 19:25
Super Moderator

Thanks walwyn I will send it to them and see what they say.
nirofo my only concern in having to do a re-install is if it doesn't make any difference and it still keeps coming up with the warning after. that is how I have my virus checker set up to stop anything from going out.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 11-02-07, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Thanks walwyn I will send it to them and see what they say.
nirofo my only concern in having to do a re-install is if it doesn't make any difference and it still keeps coming up with the warning after. that is how I have my virus checker set up to stop anything from going out.

One thing you haven't made clear Saphire, do you have a good firewall installed? In my opinion you need a good firewall, antivirus and anti spyware running constantly in the background.

If you do a hard disk reformat and a clean reinstall of XP there should be no nasty stuff left on your computer at all !! Having said that, if you have more than one hard drive in your computer from which you run your software (not your XP operating system), save your e-mails and documents etc, then you need to make sure that you do a complete scan for virus and spyware on all partitions of these extra disks. Make sure your internet connection is disabled first. If it's possible for you to save all your photo's, e-mails and documents to a DVD or an external hard drive, then you can reformat all the drives on your computer leaving it totally infection free. Once you have rebooted your operating system on a clean drive you need to disable windows firewall, install your own firewall, antivirus and anti spyware. Before you install any other software you must update your protection software with the latest updates, do a full computer scan after all your software is installed.

Depending on how much software you have to reinstall, you can do all this in about half a day, (I have loads of software to install and half a day is about right for me), including tweaking the system the way you like it, one thing to look out for, make sure you have all your hardware drivers to hand, windows doesn't have every one built in. If you have a spare computer it may be wise to download any hardware drivers you need before you do the reinstall. A good place for drivers at this web address. http://www.driverguide.com/

You'll have to register, but it's painless.

I don't know what level of computer expertise you have, but if you need any help just PM me.

nirofo.
Old 11-02-07, 09:29
Super Moderator

Nirofo, thanks, I am still trying to find some master disks from the last install in Dec, I put in a new motherboard and drives. The usual thing, put them all in safe place, I can't even contemplate re-formating without the original XP disk.

I have had a email from trend support saying that the warning I am seeing with that box, (I sent it as attachment) is that the firewall is blocking the entries, not necessarily that there is anything on the computer. But not convinced.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 11-02-07, 11:08

Just turn off the google anti-phishing feature. Go to add-ons - google toolbar ... options ... and deselect the safe browsing feature.

The site in your attachment is the site that the anti-phishing feature accesses to download a list of sites that are known to be phishing.

Let us know what happens.
Old 11-02-07, 11:23
Super Moderator

Thanks walwyn its interesting you should mention that, I did have a google search engine installed in IE and in firefox, I deleted it yesterday and things seem to have gone quiet. I have also the anti-phishing feature set at maximum in my Internet security. I also managed to disable windows automatic update which was hidden I will put up with the annoying reminder that its not on.

Old 11-02-07, 11:44
Super Moderator

I have just done a capture of the error console in firefox. Its all gobbley gook to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg err.jpg (190.6 KB, 7 views)

Old 11-02-07, 13:43

It's well known that the Google and Yahoo search engines and toolbars are full of spy and ad ware, you don't really need them, just make a shortcut to Google and you can go straight to their web search page. Several recent software releases have included the option to install the Google or Yahoo toolbars with the installation of the program, in some cases they have cunningly hidden the option not to install toolbars and you end up with them every time you log on to the web. If you do do a format and reboot, make sure when you load your software that you don't install the toolbars with it, unless you really want to that is.

nirofo.