WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Am I in trouble

Old 16-10-08, 21:23

Default Am I in trouble

Last week there was a terrific program on the telly called, "Big Cat Diary". I was holding my camera when it came on and as an experiment I took some pictures. After the end I edited the pictures on my computer and was delighted with the results. Over the week I took more pictures each time the program came on and now I have a wonderful collection of "Big Cat Pictures". Now I am worried whether I will be in trouble for taking those pictures, am I in breach of copyrights. The pictures are just for my own pleasure, not in any way for financial gain. Here are some examples of my efforts.
Tanny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheetah 1.JPG (104.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Cheetah 2.JPG (77.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Cheetah 3.JPG (80.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Cheetah 4.JPG (67.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Leopard.JPG (157.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 17-10-08, 19:40

You can see the pixels of the tele screen itself so there is no danger of them being passed off as original shots, just enjoy them.
Old 18-10-08, 16:32

Like what has been said above, aslong as you do not publish them or sell them, then you will be fine. - Would make a good wallpaper for your PC!
Old 20-10-08, 08:40

Thanks for the advice guys and I have to say that I am planning to use some of the pictures for paintings, I always fancied doing paintings like David Shepherd.
Now all of you have given me excellent and obvious advice but do you base this advice on the true letter of the law. I ask this in the event of someone else copying my idea and receiving monetery gain through selling their pictures.
At the age of 69 and only on the basic pension, I am unable to afford going to places I see on the telly to take pictures, so this new idea of mine has opened up a vast new interest, and stimulates my mind. When a bloke reaches my age he has to have plenty of stimulation, otherwise he just stagnates and starts, "Waiting for God".
I change my wallpaper at least once a week, Daniel, depending on the quality of the photographs I take each day.
Old 21-10-08, 23:33

Tanny,it will be very long time before you "stagnate!!!!!".

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 23-10-08, 12:13

A single frame screen capture of a TV or film is normally, but not always, considered 'fair use' or 'fair dealing' under copyright law, as it is considered a small part (1/25th sec) of the over all work ('de minimus'). It is generally thought though that if you add some commentary or criticism along with your usage then you are on more solid ground, and if your usage is transformative (does not serve the same purpose as the original) then your position is even more secure.
Old 23-10-08, 13:11

Technically your are breaching the copyright. But as it is such a grey area and with the costs involved it is very unlike that anybody will pursue you over the matter. On the other hand if they thought they were losing millions of pounds through this sort of activity they would be after you like a blood hound. Principally the copyright law is about protecting the originators income.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 23-10-08 at 13:14.
Old 23-10-08, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Principally the copyright law is about protecting the originators income.
Not quite. It can also be used to protect an originators reputation and other interests. This is a recent judgment on the issue by the US Court of Appeals as far as Open Source, Creative Commons, and Artistic Licenses are concerned:
Quote:
Traditionally, copyright owners sold their copyrighted material in exchange for money. The lack of money changing hands in open source licensing should not be presumed to mean that there is no economic consideration, however. There are substantial benefits, including economic benefits, to the creation and distribution of copyrighted works under public licenses that range far beyond traditional license royalties. For example, program creators may generate market share for their programs by providing certain components free of charge. Similarly, a programmer or company may increase its national or international reputation by incubating open source projects. Improvement to a product can come rapidly and free of charge from an expert not even known to the copyright holder. The Eleventh Circuit has recognized the economic motives inherent in public licenses, even where profit is not immediate.
http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/08-1001.pdf
Old 23-10-08, 17:21

This link gives some useful info on UK Copyright

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated